RE: [civilwarwest] DEL & Emancipation

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 6:47 PM
      The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and CA finally got around to ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!

      As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as well as the earlier refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply and all too sadly, this shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a minor slave state.

      Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of the border states to even consider compensated along with delayed emancipation. His fine mathematical mind argued that compensation would be a lot cheaper than a few days of the war and it should have been obvious that slavery was doomed. But none of the border state leadership, whether governor or senator or representative would even talk about the subject.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
      303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

      "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing over why it is flat."

      I just find in fascinating that a state with such a
      small slave population did not accept an offer of
      compensated emancipation during the war,and also did
      not ratify the 13-15th amendements until 1901.
      Stan

    • endeavorgot
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 5:46 AM
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
        <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

        > The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and CA finally got
        around to
        > ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!
        >
        > As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as well as the
        earlier
        > refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply and all too
        sadly, this
        > shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a minor slave
        state.

        > Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of the border
        states to
        > even consider compensated along with delayed emancipation. His fine
        > mathematical mind argued that compensation would be a lot cheaper
        than a few
        > days of the war and it should have been obvious that slavery was
        doomed. But
        > none of the border state leadership, whether governor or senator or
        > representative would even talk about the subject.
        >
        > Take care,
        >
        > Bob

        How was the ratification of the 13th and 14th handled in the
        deep south states?

        Bill Bruner
      • Stanley Balsky
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 9:52 AM
          IIRC ratification was part of the process of being
          readmitted to congress.
          Stan

          ---------------------------------
          <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

          > The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and
          CA finally got
          around to
          > ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!
          >
          > As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as
          well as the
          earlier
          > refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply
          and all too
          sadly, this
          > shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a
          minor slave
          state.

          > Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of
          the border
          states to
          > even consider compensated along with delayed
          emancipation. His fine
          > mathematical mind argued that compensation would be
          a lot cheaper
          than a few
          > days of the war and it should have been obvious that
          slavery was
          doomed. But
          > none of the border state leadership, whether
          governor or senator or
          > representative would even talk about the subject.
          >
          > Take care,
          >
          > Bob

          How was the ratification of the 13th and 14th
          handled in the
          deep south states?

          Bill Bruner

          American civil war