DEL & Emancipation

  • Stanley Balsky
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2006
      Nor I am I an expert on DEL history.
      Just find it fascinating that a state with such a
      small slave population that remained in the union
      would cling to slavery as it did.
      They refused compensated emancipation during the war.
      Took to 1901 to ratify the 13-15th Amendements.
      Stan

      --- hooperjwboro@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      The 13th was ratified in 1865 shortly after
      introduced. I would suspect since it was law, Delaware
      may have considered the ratification (Delaware's
      legislature) unimportant as to process rather than
      adherance to slavery.
      Just a guess as I am not a Delaware history expert.

      --
      Regards,
      Hooper
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2006

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2006
          The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and CA finally got around to ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!

          As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as well as the earlier refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply and all too sadly, this shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a minor slave state.

          Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of the border states to even consider compensated along with delayed emancipation. His fine mathematical mind argued that compensation would be a lot cheaper than a few days of the war and it should have been obvious that slavery was doomed. But none of the border state leadership, whether governor or senator or representative would even talk about the subject.

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
          303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

          "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing over why it is flat."

          I just find in fascinating that a state with such a
          small slave population did not accept an offer of
          compensated emancipation during the war,and also did
          not ratify the 13-15th amendements until 1901.
          Stan

        • endeavorgot
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
            <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

            > The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and CA finally got
            around to
            > ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!
            >
            > As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as well as the
            earlier
            > refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply and all too
            sadly, this
            > shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a minor slave
            state.

            > Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of the border
            states to
            > even consider compensated along with delayed emancipation. His fine
            > mathematical mind argued that compensation would be a lot cheaper
            than a few
            > days of the war and it should have been obvious that slavery was
            doomed. But
            > none of the border state leadership, whether governor or senator or
            > representative would even talk about the subject.
            >
            > Take care,
            >
            > Bob

            How was the ratification of the 13th and 14th handled in the
            deep south states?

            Bill Bruner
          • Stanley Balsky
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2006
              IIRC ratification was part of the process of being
              readmitted to congress.
              Stan

              ---------------------------------
              <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

              > The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and
              CA finally got
              around to
              > ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!
              >
              > As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as
              well as the
              earlier
              > refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply
              and all too
              sadly, this
              > shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a
              minor slave
              state.

              > Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of
              the border
              states to
              > even consider compensated along with delayed
              emancipation. His fine
              > mathematical mind argued that compensation would be
              a lot cheaper
              than a few
              > days of the war and it should have been obvious that
              slavery was
              doomed. But
              > none of the border state leadership, whether
              governor or senator or
              > representative would even talk about the subject.
              >
              > Take care,
              >
              > Bob

              How was the ratification of the 13th and 14th
              handled in the
              deep south states?

              Bill Bruner

              American civil war