Re: [civilwarwest] Re: victory&defeat

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2006
      So you're basically saying that by Smith marching out of Memphis he had already won victory?  Or at least once he convinced Forrest that Forrest should attack smith he had won?  That if Smith can't make Forrest attack him then its a loss because Forrest can do as he pleases.  All Smith had to do was prevent the total destruction of his army and he was a winner?  Or better yet, if he had surrendered his whole force that would have tied up Forrest with paroles and such, all that paperwork takes time.
      --Nick

      In a message dated 5/1/2006 10:49:37 AM Mountain Daylight Time, melchizedek22@... writes:
      The point of my Brice Crossroads post was,that the unions mission
      was to keep Forrest off of Sherman's supply line.By being defeated
      at Brice Crossroads,the union had,completed their mission.
      By completeing their mission they managed to can a victory by being
      defeated.
      Kind of like  Milo Minderbinder bombing his own base,and everybody
      gained,because everybody had a "Share" in M&M enterprises

    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1, 2006
        Im with you Nick. Seems like weak rationalization to claim there was any US victory in this.
        The US mission was about more than keeping Forrest off Sherman's supply line; the
        mission was about defeating Forrest. Sturgis and both Smiths failed in their mission.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

        > So you're basically saying that by Smith marching out of Memphis he had
        > already won victory? Or at least once he convinced Forrest that Forrest should
        > attack smith he had won? That if Smith can't make Forrest attack him then its
        > a loss because Forrest can do as he pleases. All Smith had to do was
        > prevent the total destruction of his army and he was a winner? Or better yet, if
        > he had surrendered his whole force that would have tied up Forrest with
        > paroles and such, all that paperwork takes time.
        > --Nick
        >

        > In a message dated 5/1/2006 10:49:37 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
        > melchizedek22@... writes:
        >
        > The point of my Brice Crossroads post was,that the unions mission
        > was to keep Forrest off of Sherman's supply line.By being defeated
        > at Brice Crossroads,the union had,completed their mission.
        > By completeing their mission they managed to can a victory by being
        > defeated.
        > Kind of like Milo Minderbinder bombing his own base,and everybody
        > gained,because everybody had a "Share" in M&M enterprises

      • Dan Giallombardo
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1, 2006
          -
          "Kind of like Milo Minderbinder bombing his own base,and everybody
          > gained,because everybody had a "Share" in M&M enterprises"------
          Excellent analogy.--Dan

          -- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "melchizedek22"

          Message 4 of 27 , May 1, 2006
            Perhaps, it's me, but I read that as meaning as long as
            Forrest was kept occupied the mission was a sucess.--Dan

            Message 5 of 27 , May 1, 2006
              I can understand wanting to keep Forrest occupied, keep him from raiding and recruiting, etc.  But the idea of just going out there to have Forrest hammer you and claim it as a victory seems very odd.  If you just keep sending guys out to get hammered you run the risk of reaching a time when you don't have the guys to stop Forrest from doing what he wants.

              To put it another way, Forrest had roughly 5000 men and Sturgis had about 8000.  If Forrest wins battles by inflicting 2600 casualties and losing 500 (which was the approximate total at Brice's) then how many such victories can the Union win before they are unable to stop Forrest at all?
              --Nick

              In a message dated 5/1/2006 1:23:53 PM Mountain Daylight Time, DanGiallo@... writes:
                           Perhaps, it's me, but I read that as meaning as long as
              Forrest was kept occupied the mission was a sucess.--Dan

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 27 , May 1, 2006

                By that definition of “victory” I guess Custer had a smashing one at the Little Big Horn. Heck, Reno even held the field while the Indians left.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 27 , May 1, 2006
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

                  > I can understand wanting to keep Forrest occupied, keep him from
                  raiding and
                  > recruiting, etc. But the idea of just going out there to have
                  Forrest
                  > hammer you and claim it as a victory seems very odd. If you just
                  keep sending
                  > guys out to get hammered you run the risk of reaching a time when
                  you don't have
                  > the guys to stop Forrest from doing what he wants.
                  >
                  > To put it another way, Forrest had roughly 5000 men and Sturgis
                  had about
                  > 8000. If Forrest wins battles by inflicting 2600 casualties and
                  losing 500
                  > (which was the approximate total at Brice's) then how many such
                  victories can
                  > the Union win before they are unable to stop Forrest at all?
                  > --Nick
                  >

                  > In a message dated 5/1/2006 1:23:53 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
                  > DanGiallo@... writes:
                  >
                  > Perhaps, it's me, but I read that as meaning as long as
                  > Forrest was kept occupied the mission was a sucess.--Dan

                  There seems to be a pattern developing here. Consider Sand Mountain
                  (Day's Gap) (Streights raid) in addition to examples cited in posts
                  before.

                  It seems to me that that the Union kept sending forces out to
                  destroy, capture, or defeat Forrest. But when Forrest defeated or
                  destroyed those forces, they would claim that this kept him from
                  defeating or destroying even more important forces.

                  Bill Bruner
                • Steve Saultz
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 1, 2006
                    ...LMAO......
                  • melchizedek22
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2, 2006
                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Giallombardo"
                      <DanGiallo@...> wrote:

                      > Correct! They completed their mission,sure it would have been great
                      to have defeated Forrest,but their mission was to keep Forrest off of
                      Sherman's supply line,that they did do.

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2, 2006

                        > By that definition of "victory" I guess Custer had a smashing one
                        at the
                        > Little Big Horn. Heck, Reno even held the field while the Indians
                        left.

                        > Tom

                        afford the 2600 casualties,more than the so called confederacy could
                        afford the 500!
                        Just as the Russians could afford insane losses more than the
                        Germans in WW2

                        > In a message dated 5/1/2006 1:23:53 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
                        > DanGiallo@... writes:
                        >
                        > Perhaps, it's me, but I read that as meaning as long
                        as
                        > Forrest was kept occupied the mission was a sucess.--Dan

                        > American
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa

                        r&w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+w
                        ar&w6=
                        > United+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=PLhSD0RGhooh2tXWQrpA1w> civil war
                        >
                        > Civil
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi

                        l+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Uni
                        ted+st
                        > ate+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=rEnWOoAzy2uXEjwEqbvKQw> war
                        >
                        > United
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=United+states&w1=American+civil+war&w2=

                        Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6
                        =Unite
                        > d+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=iLfklVD4PyvX0P-TPXBdyQ> states
                        >

                        > Civil
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war

                        &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+wa
                        r&w6=U
                        > nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=5ubNl6PEd3y2Dmlp5shYpg> war
                        history

                        > Of
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Of+the+civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&

                        w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war
                        &w6=Un
                        > ited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=xGDN2KXuQrheRYzvZoUVcQ> the civil
                        war

                        > United
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=United+state+army&w1=American+civil+war

                        &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+wa
                        r&w6=U
                        > nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=yF_kwbpG9O-0SNRFfNB27g> state army
                        >

                        > _____
                        >
                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >

                        > * Visit your group "civilwarwest
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civilwarwest> " on the web.

                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                        > _____

                      • pvtjessett
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 6, 2006
                          Gentlemen, Compliments

                          I realize I'm a little late on this debate but in my small mind the
                          bottom line is that Forrest was turned loose on W.T. Shermans supply
                          line several months late. By the time he was sent to do what he
                          could as far as disruption of lines of comm. "Billy" Sherman had
                          already decided to go it alone, "live off the country" so to speak.
                          Grant had proved in the Vicksburg campaign this was possible and the
                          lesson was well learned. Forrest had advocated this disruption
                          earlier but was poo-pooed by Wheeler if not higher up at the time.
                          Another fine move by the CSA Command in the west.
                          Brice's Cross roads whether a distracting move on Forrest or not was
                          a brillantly fought engagement and to this day still taught in any
                          Military Academy worth its salt. West Point included.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 6, 2006
                            Mr. Nick Compliments,

                            Is it just me or do I detect a small note of sarcasism. No couldn't
                            possibly be.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 6, 2006
                              Tom Compliments,

                              I detected a little sarcasism in Nicks post but Sir, I believe yours
                              drips it. I wonder if Sitting Bull (or whomever the Chief was)
                              looked at it like that. I can hear him now---"Reno that rascal" got
                              me!!

                              Paul

                            • nickrelee@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 6, 2006
                                Just a bit of sarcasam.  A wee tiny bit.
                                --Nick
                              • pvtjessett
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 6, 2006
                                  Nick Compliments Again Sir,

                                  My Spidey senses felt that.
                                  LOF

                                  Paul

                                  -- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

                                  > Just a bit of sarcasam. A wee tiny bit.
                                  > --Nick

                                • Bob Huddleston
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 7, 2006

                                    Sorry, Paul, it does not appear that there is much interest in the Army on Brice's Crossroads.

                                    Civil War staff rides are conducted on Antietam,Gettysburg , and the Red River Campaign, but at present, there are no staff rides of Brice’s Crossroads. And the Crossroad’s site, http://www.bricescrossroads.com/main.htm does not mention any West Point study of the battle . In times past, the U.S.M.A has run staff rides of Chickamauga/Chattanooga (the US Army’s first staff ride, in 1906, was of Chickamauga ), Cedar Creek and various other battle fields in Virginia . Grabau’s _Ninety-Eight Days _ was originally n Army (but non-U.S.M.A.) staff ride.

                                    The Army’s Combat Studies  Institute at Leavenworth has prepared a number of staff rides < http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/csi.asp#staff > but none on Brice’s Crossroads.

                                    A search of the West Point web site finds no mention of either Forrest or Brice’s Cross Roads, nor does the West Point Atlas even mention Brice’s Crossroads.

                                    It would appear that the modern Army has no interest in either Bedford Forrest or Brice’s Cross Roads.

                                    Take care,

                                    Bob

                                    Judy and Bob Huddleston
                                    10643 Sperry Street
                                    Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                                    303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

                                    "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing over why it is flat."

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 7, 2006
                                      I have a bibliography that lists a 1991 publication of a Brice's Crossroads staff ride.  Also there are probably military units that do a staff ride there (or any other battlefield) without leaving documents for us to see.  Maybe the Brice's visitor's center keeps records of groups that make a staff ride there.
                                      --Nick
                                    • Tom Mix
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 12, 2006

                                        Test. Again.

                                        Sorry,

                                        Tom

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 12, 2006

                                          > Test. Again.
                                          >
                                          > Sorry,

                                          Tom,

                                          an even better test is to send a message to mickey_mouse@...
                                          or mickey_mouse@....

                                          Not only will the message go out but you'll receive a return message
                                          along the lines of 'the recipient cannot be found' confirming round-
                                          trip message delivery...

                                          HankC
                                        • Jimmy Bell
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 12, 2006