RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Numbers of Border State Troops; was: Kentucky Hanging

  • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2006
      The 13th was ratified in 1865 shortly after introduced. I would suspect since it was law, Delaware may have considered the ratification (Delaware's legislature) unimportant as to process rather than adherance to slavery.
      Just a guess as I am not a Delaware history expert.

      --
      Regards,
      Hooper
      From: Stanley Balsky <balsky@...>
    • Stanley Balsky
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2006
        Nor am I an expert on DEL history.
        I just find in fascinating that a state with such a
        small slave population did not accept an offer of
        compensated emancipation during the war,and also did
        not ratify the 13-15th amendements until 1901.
        Stan

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2006
          Nor I am I an expert on DEL history.
          Just find it fascinating that a state with such a
          small slave population that remained in the union
          would cling to slavery as it did.
          They refused compensated emancipation during the war.
          Took to 1901 to ratify the 13-15th Amendements.
          Stan

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2006

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2006

              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and CA finally got around to ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!

                As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as well as the earlier refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply and all too sadly, this shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a minor slave state.

                Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of the border states to even consider compensated along with delayed emancipation. His fine mathematical mind argued that compensation would be a lot cheaper than a few days of the war and it should have been obvious that slavery was doomed. But none of the border state leadership, whether governor or senator or representative would even talk about the subject.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
                  <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

                  > The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and CA finally got
                  around to
                  > ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!
                  >
                  > As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as well as the
                  earlier
                  > refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply and all too
                  sadly, this
                  > shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a minor slave
                  state.

                  > Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of the border
                  states to
                  > even consider compensated along with delayed emancipation. His fine
                  > mathematical mind argued that compensation would be a lot cheaper
                  than a few
                  > days of the war and it should have been obvious that slavery was
                  doomed. But
                  > none of the border state leadership, whether governor or senator or
                  > representative would even talk about the subject.
                  >
                  > Take care,
                  >
                  > Bob

                  How was the ratification of the 13th and 14th handled in the
                  deep south states?

                  Bill Bruner
                • Stanley Balsky
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                    IIRC ratification was part of the process of being
                    readmitted to congress.
                    Stan

                    ---------------------------------
                    <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

                    > The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and
                    CA finally got
                    around to
                    > ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!
                    >
                    > As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as
                    well as the
                    earlier
                    > refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply
                    and all too
                    sadly, this
                    > shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a
                    minor slave
                    state.

                    > Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of
                    the border
                    states to
                    > even consider compensated along with delayed
                    emancipation. His fine
                    > mathematical mind argued that compensation would be
                    a lot cheaper
                    than a few
                    > days of the war and it should have been obvious that
                    slavery was
                    doomed. But
                    > none of the border state leadership, whether
                    governor or senator or
                    > representative would even talk about the subject.
                    >
                    > Take care,
                    >
                    > Bob

                    How was the ratification of the 13th and 14th
                    handled in the
                    deep south states?

                    Bill Bruner

                    American civil war