Re: [civilwarwest] Utoy Church

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
      Unfortunately I think it might be past saving as most of the problems were too many trees and undergrowth.  There was some trash in the cemetery but I'd bet one good day of cleaning would fix that.  The clearing of trees and brush would take much longer and probably be very difficult as trees are right in many grave sites.
      --Nick

      In a message dated 4/30/2006 9:24:32 PM Mountain Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
      I know that in many communities the local VFW, American Legion,or Boy Scout troops take care of these Civil War cemeteries.  Then you have the DAR, SUV, SCV, and re-enactor groups would be another contact to make.  The problem is, there is too much apathy to take a little time and keep them clean.

    • James2044
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 4/30/2006 10:43:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > nickrelee@... writes:
        >
        > I was at Utoy Church (Atlanta campaign) a few days ago and noticed
        the
        > cemetery in horrible condition. There seemed to be quite a few
        Revolutionary War
        > vets as well as some Confederates from the battle. Does anyone
        know who
        > is/should be taking care of the cemetery, or what we can do if no
        one is in
        > charge right now? Seems terrible to let a cemetery get into such
        deplorable shape.
        > --Nick
        >
        > Nick,
        > I know that in many communities the local VFW, American Legion,or
        Boy Scout
        > troops take care of these Civil War cemeteries. Then you have
        the DAR, SUV,
        > SCV, and re-enactor groups would be another contact to make. The
        problem is,
        > there is too much apathy to take a little time and keep them
        clean.

        > JEJ

        The VFW is mem 70+ years old with very very few VietNam vets. Most
        of the VFW posts are trying to save themselves and to buys for much
        more.

        James2044