[civilwarwest] Utoy Church

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
      I was at Utoy Church (Atlanta campaign) a few days ago and noticed the cemetery in horrible condition.  There seemed to be quite a few Revolutionary War vets as well as some Confederates from the battle.  Does anyone know who is/should be taking care of the cemetery, or what we can do if no one is in charge right now?  Seems terrible to let a cemetery get into such deplorable shape.
      --Nick
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
        In a message dated 4/30/2006 10:43:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, nickrelee@... writes:
        I was at Utoy Church (Atlanta campaign) a few days ago and noticed the cemetery in horrible condition.  There seemed to be quite a few Revolutionary War vets as well as some Confederates from the battle.  Does anyone know who is/should be taking care of the cemetery, or what we can do if no one is in charge right now?  Seems terrible to let a cemetery get into such deplorable shape.
        --Nick

        Nick,
        I know that in many communities the local VFW, American Legion,or Boy Scout troops take care of these Civil War cemeteries.  Then you have the DAR, SUV, SCV, and re-enactor groups would be another contact to make.  The problem is, there is too much apathy to take a little time and keep them clean.

        JEJ

        "As fast as we gain one position, the enemy (JEJ) has another all ready."
        William T. Sherman, June 1864
      • nickrelee@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
          Unfortunately I think it might be past saving as most of the problems were too many trees and undergrowth.  There was some trash in the cemetery but I'd bet one good day of cleaning would fix that.  The clearing of trees and brush would take much longer and probably be very difficult as trees are right in many grave sites.
          --Nick

          In a message dated 4/30/2006 9:24:32 PM Mountain Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
          I know that in many communities the local VFW, American Legion,or Boy Scout troops take care of these Civil War cemeteries.  Then you have the DAR, SUV, SCV, and re-enactor groups would be another contact to make.  The problem is, there is too much apathy to take a little time and keep them clean.

        • James2044
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 4/30/2006 10:43:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > nickrelee@... writes:
            >
            > I was at Utoy Church (Atlanta campaign) a few days ago and noticed
            the
            > cemetery in horrible condition. There seemed to be quite a few
            Revolutionary War
            > vets as well as some Confederates from the battle. Does anyone
            know who
            > is/should be taking care of the cemetery, or what we can do if no
            one is in
            > charge right now? Seems terrible to let a cemetery get into such
            deplorable shape.
            > --Nick
            >
            > Nick,
            > I know that in many communities the local VFW, American Legion,or
            Boy Scout
            > troops take care of these Civil War cemeteries. Then you have
            the DAR, SUV,
            > SCV, and re-enactor groups would be another contact to make. The
            problem is,
            > there is too much apathy to take a little time and keep them
            clean.

            > JEJ

            The VFW is mem 70+ years old with very very few VietNam vets. Most
            of the VFW posts are trying to save themselves and to buys for much
            more.

            James2044