Re: Kentucky Hanging

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 29, 2006
      Mr. Norris Very Great Compliments Sir,

      Incredible you would bring up the 5th K.Y. My ancestors, one of which
      as you stated fought, although deserted at Perrysville, the 5th K.Y.
      infantry(Union) by the name of Henry Barker, while at the same time
      his brother John Barker rode with the 5th K.Y. infantry, Mounted
      (Butternut)---go figure.
      As you are familiar with that battlefied, to say the least, you will
      know of Hayes/Mayes road that borders the one side of it and also
      Begley Creek, which I believe runs on the southern end of it. These
      are both last names of my grandparents, Mayes not Hayes, and all of
      the clan are buried up on the hill church down the road 151??? toward
      Springfield. Can trace them back in the area to 1824 with Tobe Begley.
      From what I've been told Hayes/Mayes road used to be Mayes road but
      was renamed after the Seesh retreat as a dig at them--wives tale
      probably. Anyhow I still stand by the 50/50.

      Paul
    • James2044
      Message 42 of 42 , May 6, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...> wrote:

        > James 2044, Compliments,
        >
        > Give Ole Bobby Lee a break, he was gonna teach em a lesson, on both
        > counts. One was screwed up by a wrapped bunch of cigars, and the
        > other by a vain cavalry Officer named Stuart. He was great in ole
        > Virgina, but a waste of time once he left the borders of.
        > IMHO.
        >
        > Paul

        In keeping with our group name we had better stop this as a public
        debate. bring it over the Echos of Glory and we can have fun with it.

        James2044