Re: Measuring Victory and Defeat [was: Events builds on]

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 29, 2006
      SAm and Tom, Compliments Gentlemen

      Bedford Forrest, I will say without any hesitation the finest
      Cavalry Officer either side ever produced, Had no intention
      of "Assualting" the works at Franklin but taking them, how do you
      say "on the oblique" or in other words end on. He knew or at least
      saw a "head on" attack, would work, eventually, but at such a cost
      that the return would be minimul(SP). To suggest that he made his
      idea known "After" the attack had failed is very much in error and a
      little disrepectful to a great man. My only concern would of been
      his lack of handling large bodies of dis-mounted troops in general.
      Other than that I have to believe that if he made an offer as he did
      he had no doubt to its outcome.

      Paul

      -- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@...> wrote:

      > Well, I don't about an assault, but his move around the flank
      suggestion
      > came prior to the attack. If this "flank attack" quote really did
      take
      > place and occurred after the assault, there is no way it could
      have been
      > made.
      >
      > Tom

      Events
      > builds on]
      >

      > In a message dated 4/29/2006 4:39:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > tmix@... writes:
      >

      > I have not either, I was just noting that if what was mentioned
      did happen
      > when Forrest suggested a flank move the division requested would
      have been
      > fresh.
      >

      > Well, I understood the original post to state that Forrest claimed
      if he was
      > given a fresh division, he could have taken the Federal works.
      My whole
      > point was that Forrest didn't want to assault the works, and that
      if he made
      > that comment after the failure of the assaults made that day,
      there really
      > wasn't a fresh division avaliable.
      >
      > Sam Elliott

      > American
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa

      r&w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+
      war&w6=
      > United+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=PLhSD0RGhooh2tXWQrpA1w> civil
      war

      > Civil
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Civi

      l+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Un
      ited+st
      > ate+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=rEnWOoAzy2uXEjwEqbvKQw> war
      >
      > United
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=United+states&w1=American+civil+war&w2=

      Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w
      6=Unite
      > d+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=iLfklVD4PyvX0P-TPXBdyQ> states
      >

      > Civil
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war

      &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+w
      ar&w6=U
      > nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=5ubNl6PEd3y2Dmlp5shYpg> war
      history

      > Of
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Of+the+civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&

      w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+wa
      r&w6=Un
      > ited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=xGDN2KXuQrheRYzvZoUVcQ> the civil
      war

      > United
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=United+state+army&w1=American+civil+war

      &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+w
      ar&w6=U
      > nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=yF_kwbpG9O-0SNRFfNB27g> state
      army

      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "civilwarwest
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civilwarwest> " on the web.

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      > _____

    • pvtjessett
      Message 92 of 92 , May 6, 2006
        Bill Compliments Sir,

        After my SNAFU concerning "Little" Archie Griffin Vs "Little" Archie
        Clements and the grief I took for that, I was praying someone else
        would screw up. Thanx for helping me out.

        Paul
        Ps. Your sainted Mother sounds like she was a very astute woman.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "endeavorgot" <banbruner@...>