[civilwarwest] Nathan B. Forrest

  • Nils Feller
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 12, 2000
      Hello all,

      While studiying the Civil War in the West, a moral problem keeps resurfacing
      which I, as a German and with regard to Germany's recent history find both
      difficult and fascinating and which I can't quite figure out: Should we judge
      the men who fought the war by more than strictly military standards? This
      applies, in my view, mostly to N. B. Forrest. Not only was he an astonishing
      soldier, who would have done any military academy proud even though he was
      completely self-taught. He also was a slave-trader before the war, which in my
      view (which is admittedly a 20th century one) is a profession that makes a pimp
      look respectable and he was an influential figure in the Ku-Klux-Klan after the
      war. I just can't bring myself to see his considerable military exploits
      detached from this, and I really don't know if I should. To me, this question is
      especially important regarding my own country's history, in short: Can we or
      should we respect the military genius of a man who was a devout Nazi (many
      German Generals were) Mind you, Southerners, I don't call Forrest a Nazi!
      I'd love to get your views on this problem!
      Thanks, Nils
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 14, 2000
        Hi Joe,

        I was waiting to hear from you. Yes, I did understand it to be a hatred of
        the US. So did a lot of other folks judging by the amount of mail I got
        through the website. However, I will accept that it was not. Never the less
        it was still off topic.

        I want you and everyone in the group to know that I work very had to insure
        that my website presents the facts as I know them to be about the war. No
        where on the site, other than my "personal opinion page", will you see me
        interject anything that is not or cannot be documented. The same cannot be
        said for other sites. I hold this group to the same standards. I in no way
        want to stifle someone's right to express an opinion. As long as it has to
        do with the Western Theater of Operations and you state it is your personal
        opinion, feel free to fire away. But you have to understand that the group
        was not set up to discuss the rightness or wrongness of displaying the
        battle flag, whether or not slavery was wrong, whether or not the American
        Indian was treated shabbily, or even whether or not Jeff Davis and the
        Confederacy were traitors. The group was established to discuss the
        operations in the Western Theater of the American Civil War. If the topic is
        drifted from on occasion, I generally allow that. Discussions, whether they
        be face to face or on the Internet generally do. But I will not allow the
        occasional drift to become the new course.

        Yes, I am in charge of this list and no I don't want to take you off, nor do
        I want you to take yourself off. If that had been my objective I would have
        done so last night. I think you have a lot to offer and I for one am anxious
        to learn. By the way, if there is to be a response to this mail either by
        you or any member of the group, I would prefer it to be via private mail and
        not to the group. As far as I am concerned this issue is closed.

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com