Kansas Nebraska Deabate

  • huddleston.r@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2006
      �There was one argument made by the Senator from North Carolina [Mr. BADGER] which struck me as exceedingly singular. He has set forth all the beauties of this patriarchal institution, as he calls it, to show the affectionate relation existing between him and his slaves, with whom he grew up from boyhood, with whom he was intimate and familiar, and whom he pronounced to be the best friends he had upon the earth. He said, Do you want to make us hard-hearted? Now, sir, said he, if I can better my condition, and the condition of my slaves, by going into Nebraska, where the soil is better, and where we will have a better supply of all things, in the name of God, do you want to stand forth and prevent me? Did any one notice the force with which he urged that appeal? So wedded was he to the idea that he could not exist anywhere without his old friends, as he called them, and yet he could not take his old �mammy,� as he called her, who nursed and brought him up to manhood, into that Terri
      tory. Why? Because, notwithstanding these intimate relation, he could not take her there, because he could not have the right to sell her when he got there. There could not be any other reason for it; for, most assuredly, if he wanted to take his affectionate old mummy there and give her her freedom, there would be nothing in the way, either in a slave law or anything else.�

      Congressional Globe, Appendix, 33rd Congress, 1st Session (1854), pp. 313, 1854

      --
      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston