Re: Rosecran's fitness to command

  • endeavorgot
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2006
      Nick writes:

      And then basically he should have switched tasks with Garfield (let
      Garfield go to Chattanooga and Rosey go to Snodgrass).
      --Nick

      It is my understanding that this is exactly what Rosecrans intended to
      do. But upon giving detailed instructions to Garfield on what must be
      done for the defense of Chattanooga, Garfield states that he is not
      capable of carrying out such complicatied orders and that it would be
      much better for him, Garfield to report to Thomas and for Rosecrans to
      handle the complications of Chattanooga's defense. Reasonable? This
      decision allowed Garfield to win the Whitehouse.

      Bill Bruner