Re; Forrests myth

  • endeavorgot
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2006
      Gen J R Chalmers writes: (on Paducah)

      General Jordan, the biographer of Forrest, who wrote under his
      supervision (and to whose valuable book I am greatly indebted for
      many details used in preparing this address), leaves the impression
      that General Lee made the fight from supposed necessity and without
      the concurrence of Forrest. I know that this is not the true
      statement of the case. Lee, Forrest, Buford and I were riding to the
      front when the battle was about to begin. Buford said to Lee and
      Forrest, who had spent the night and morning together in
      consultation: "Gentlemen, you have not asked my opinion about this
      fight; but I tell you, we are going to be badly whipped." Forrest
      replied, sharply "You don't know what you are talking about; we'll
      whip 'em in five minutes." Buford replied: "I hope you may be right,
      but I don't believe it." Forrest was a great general; but he never
      rose to that greatness and dignity of soul which enabled Robert E.
      Lee at Gettysburg to assume the responsibility of a failure.

      Bill Bruner