Sherman/Chickasaw Bayou

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2006
      Wow... boy was I off. Someone emailed me a map crafted by veterans who
      re-visited Chickasaw Bayou years after the fact. Apparently, both
      sides were claiming that the bridge was to be placed across McNutt
      Lake, which would have been to Barton's extreme left. I thought
      Sherman was nuts for claiming that the bridge would have been placed a
      few hundred yards south of the road, when it was almost 1.5 miles.

      However, what they called "McNutt Lake" is the portion labeled "Fishing
      Lake" on the map in the atlas... basically, halfway in between the road
      and the mound. I have been wondering where the "mound" was that eight
      companies deployed to in order to harass the bridge builders, now I
      know exactly what mound that is (someone's living in a trailer on top
      of it now ... yee haw!).

      I suppose this makes moot the point of establishing a bridgehead
      discussed in this group (IIRC ?) earlier, unless the point was to
      question the placement of the bridge. "Establishing a bridgehead"
      would have required ferrying troops into a position where they would
      have been instantly surrounded by thousands of Confederates.