Forrest at Chickamauga

  • brainbent
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
      Several post in the previous Bragg/Forrest thread have stated that
      Forrest performed poorly at Chickamauga.

      Are we talking about the post battle pursuit and information relayed
      from Missionary Ridge (Longstreet's favorite dispatch) or ordered
      action during the battle itself?

      Failure to flank Thomas on Snodgrass Hill or cutoff the reinforcements?
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
        In a message dated 4/3/2006 1:40:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, brainbent@... writes:
        Several post in the previous Bragg/Forrest thread have stated that
        Forrest performed poorly at Chickamauga.

        Are we talking about the post battle pursuit and information relayed
        from Missionary Ridge (Longstreet's favorite dispatch) or ordered
        action during the battle itself?

        Failure to flank Thomas on Snodgrass Hill or cutoff the reinforcements?
        A little of all.  In the days leading up to Chickamauga, Forrest along with Wheeler did a poor job of keeping Bragg informed of the Federals positions and moves, they fail at being the army's eyes.  During the Battle, or I should say the lead in to the fight, Forrest was supposed to screen Bushrod Johnson's/Hood's advance and was more interested in fighting than doing that.  He then failed to picket Hood's front and flank, that lead to the "surprise" confrontation on the morning of Sept. 19.  During the battle itself he handles things poorly, getting Ector's brigade of Walker's Corps chewed up.  Inadvertently he leads to Granger's reserve corps going to Snodgrass Hill (cant fault him for that one though).  In the follow up of the battle of Sept 21st, he lead an advance that blundered into Thomas's prepared positions at Rossville Gap. and then captures a Federal signal station and relays faulty info back to Bragg, telling him the Federals were evacuating Chattanooga, this adds to Bragg's lack of aggressiveness (why push forward and have to take those works if they are abandoning it).

        Lee