Re: [civilwarwest] Favorite Apocryphal Stories

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      In a message dated 4/2/2006 9:08:54 PM Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
      It reminds me of the old Mexican tale of a soldier throwing up three crows.  Starting with the regimental commander down, the story about a soldier throwing up a dark substance changed down through the command that he had thrown up three crows.
      I like the one from the Mexican War. "Green Grow the Lilacs" was a popular song during that war. And Mexican POWs would hear their guards singing it. As they couldn't speak English and had some difficulty with pronouncing "green grow," it became "gringo."

      Ken