Re: [civilwarwest] Favorite Apocryphal Stories

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      In a message dated 4/2/2006 12:52:02 AM Central Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:

      I fear that I may be rambling a bit here. And i know that some of
      you are serious istorians but I think what I am trying to do is
      elicit some of your favorite apocryphal stories. I, for one,love
      them. Debunk them as you may. I also love debunkation.
      Kudos, good sir. My sentiments exactly. (Seems I should have copied the entire message.) The little stories are the salt on the meat. True or not, they add zest to an ordinally dry exposition of facts. Usually, it doesn't much matter if the story is true or has only been twisted a bit. It becomes more a matter of debate when it is used to prove something or another about a character.

      Meanwhile. Excellent and most enjoyable post.
      Ken
    • John Beatty
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
        Apocryphal tales get people interested. Debunking
        them keep them interested.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
          In a message dated 4/2/2006 10:34:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
          Usually, it doesn't much matter if the story is true or has only been twisted a bit.
          It reminds me of the old Mexican tale of a soldier throwing up three crows.  Starting with the regimental commander down, the story about a soldier throwing up a dark substance changed down through the command that he had thrown up three crows.

          JEJ

          "As fast as we gain one position, the enemy (JEJ) has another all ready."
          William T. Sherman, June 1864
        • keeno2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
            In a message dated 4/2/2006 9:08:54 PM Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
            It reminds me of the old Mexican tale of a soldier throwing up three crows.  Starting with the regimental commander down, the story about a soldier throwing up a dark substance changed down through the command that he had thrown up three crows.
            I like the one from the Mexican War. "Green Grow the Lilacs" was a popular song during that war. And Mexican POWs would hear their guards singing it. As they couldn't speak English and had some difficulty with pronouncing "green grow," it became "gringo."

            Ken