Re: Favorite Apocryphal Stories

  • Norris Darrall
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 4/2/2006 2:51:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > banbruner@... writes:
      > The other story I recall about Wilder's
      > mounted infantry is that when they were outfitted with new
      uniforms
      > the pants came with the yellow stripes of the cavalry on them. And
      > the men having such a low estimation of the cavalry went to the
      > trouble of removing the yellow stripes. This is a good story, did
      > it really happen?
      > Bill,
      > Yes, this one did happen, we displayed on of the jackets, on
      loan, a few
      > years ago, and you could see where the trim had once been on the
      jacket.

      > Lee

      From "History of the 72nd Indiana" by Benjamin Magee: "We drew
      cavalry uniforms, but cut off the yellow stripe from the legs of the
      pants and jackets so that we might not be taken for regular
      cavalry. We were a new branch of the service; simply mounted
      infantry."
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
        In a message dated 4/2/2006 12:52:02 AM Central Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:

        I fear that I may be rambling a bit here. And i know that some of
        you are serious istorians but I think what I am trying to do is
        elicit some of your favorite apocryphal stories. I, for one,love
        them. Debunk them as you may. I also love debunkation.
        Kudos, good sir. My sentiments exactly. (Seems I should have copied the entire message.) The little stories are the salt on the meat. True or not, they add zest to an ordinally dry exposition of facts. Usually, it doesn't much matter if the story is true or has only been twisted a bit. It becomes more a matter of debate when it is used to prove something or another about a character.

        Meanwhile. Excellent and most enjoyable post.
        Ken
      • John Beatty
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
          Apocryphal tales get people interested. Debunking
          them keep them interested.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
            In a message dated 4/2/2006 10:34:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
            Usually, it doesn't much matter if the story is true or has only been twisted a bit.
            It reminds me of the old Mexican tale of a soldier throwing up three crows.  Starting with the regimental commander down, the story about a soldier throwing up a dark substance changed down through the command that he had thrown up three crows.

            JEJ

            "As fast as we gain one position, the enemy (JEJ) has another all ready."
            William T. Sherman, June 1864
          • keeno2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
              In a message dated 4/2/2006 9:08:54 PM Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
              It reminds me of the old Mexican tale of a soldier throwing up three crows.  Starting with the regimental commander down, the story about a soldier throwing up a dark substance changed down through the command that he had thrown up three crows.
              I like the one from the Mexican War. "Green Grow the Lilacs" was a popular song during that war. And Mexican POWs would hear their guards singing it. As they couldn't speak English and had some difficulty with pronouncing "green grow," it became "gringo."

              Ken