Re; Bragg vs Forrest

  • endeavorgot
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      In a message dated 4/1/2006 4:53:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      banbruner@... writes:
      To have arrested, much less
      shot, Forrest would most likely have ended his command and career.
      Forrest would definitely have gotten a(n) hearing and I don't think
      Bragg would have relished that (I think this is a grand
      understatment) Consider the witnesses that would have appeared
      against him.
      What's the difference between this and the removal of Polk, Jeff
      Davis' friend? And Polk marshalled a bunch of witnesses, too.

      Sam Elliott

      There are many differences, a plethora of differences, both in kind
      and substance. But my skill at composition is waning at the
      moment.
      And I wish that you as one of the most esteemed members of this
      group would forgive me, at this moment, for not enumerating them.
      It is my hope that if you gave the matter serious thought you could
      find a bettter answer to your question than I could provide.
      Bill Bruner
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
        In a message dated 4/2/2006 3:51:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:
        And I wish that you as one of the most esteemed members of this
        group would forgive me, at this moment, for not enumerating them.
        It is my hope that if you gave the matter serious thought you could
        find a bettter answer to your question than I could provide.
        Certainly there are points of distinction, Bill.  But to say that Bragg wouldn't dare to move against Forrest, when he moved against the President's friend Polk, is a pretty good indication that Bragg would have done just what he felt he needed to do.

        I think we're fighting the legend of Forrest here.  Those who want to swallow it hook, line and sinker are welcome to do so.   It is a fun story.   But the point others of us are trying to make is that some of the material that's being relied on is questionable.

        Sam Elliott