Favorite Apocryphal Stories

  • endeavorgot
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
      In the discussion of Forrest apocryphal stories abound. My
      definition of an apocryphal story is one that is humorous and may
      have a moral value but just aint quite true.

      As I read CW history I constantly run across stories that I stop and
      wonder... what a good, lovely story... I wonder if it is really
      true or if that really happened in that way. One part of me says
      leave it alone, it is too good a story to verify. Many a good story
      has been ruined by over verification. But the other part says I
      would really like to know the truth of the matter.

      The more I read... the more I think about what I read the more my
      previous held opinions are altered. Just recently I came to the
      belief that Grant was not the "Grim arithmetician" much less the
      butcher that I had believed him to be.

      I also discovered, through Joe Bilby's little book, "A Revolution in
      Arms" that Wilder did not in fact use his own credit line to arm his
      Lightning Brigade with Spencer Rifles, a story I have often told in
      conversation. (must I look up all and confess that the story was not
      true or only apocryphal). The other story I recall about Wilder's
      mounted infantry is that when they were outfitted with new uniforms
      the pants came with the yellow stripes of the cavalry on them. And
      the men having such a low estimation of the cavalry went to the
      trouble of removing the yellow stripes. This is a good story, did
      it really happen?

      I have often wondered at the embarassmnt of Shelby Foote in putting
      Spencers in the hands of Bufords troops at Seminary Ridge. Then I
      discover that the rate of fire (Bilby again) of the Sharps over an
      extended time is about equal to the Spencer.

      One of my favorie civil war stories is when a unit is retreating one
      of the retreating comes across a comrade who has a serious leg
      wound. He manfully lifts him across his shoulder and is carrying him
      to the rear. But on the way to the new line a solid shot comes and
      clips the wounded man's head off. Am officer on horseback seeing
      this stops the good samaritan and asks what the hell he thinks he's
      doing carrying a headless man off the field. The good samaritan
      throws his burden to the ground, looks at him, and says I'm sorry
      sir, the SOB told me it was his leg. (Joke, true, apocryphal?) It
      could have happened.

      I fear that I may be rambling a bit here. And i know that some of
      you are serious istorians but I think what I am trying to do is
      elicit some of your favorite apocryphal stories. I, for one,love
      them. Debunk them as you may. I also love debunkation.

      Bill Bruner
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
        In a message dated 4/2/2006 2:51:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:
        The other story I recall about Wilder's
        mounted infantry is that when they were outfitted with new uniforms
        the pants came with the yellow stripes of the cavalry on them. And
        the men having such a low estimation of the cavalry went to the
        trouble of removing the yellow stripes.  This is a good story, did
        it really happen?
        Bill,
            Yes, this one did happen, we displayed on of the jackets, on loan, a few years ago, and you could see where the trim had once been on the jacket.

        Lee
      • Norris Darrall
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 4/2/2006 2:51:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          > banbruner@... writes:
          > The other story I recall about Wilder's
          > mounted infantry is that when they were outfitted with new
          uniforms
          > the pants came with the yellow stripes of the cavalry on them. And
          > the men having such a low estimation of the cavalry went to the
          > trouble of removing the yellow stripes. This is a good story, did
          > it really happen?
          > Bill,
          > Yes, this one did happen, we displayed on of the jackets, on
          loan, a few
          > years ago, and you could see where the trim had once been on the
          jacket.

          > Lee

          From "History of the 72nd Indiana" by Benjamin Magee: "We drew
          cavalry uniforms, but cut off the yellow stripe from the legs of the
          pants and jackets so that we might not be taken for regular
          cavalry. We were a new branch of the service; simply mounted
          infantry."
        • keeno2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
            In a message dated 4/2/2006 12:52:02 AM Central Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:

            I fear that I may be rambling a bit here. And i know that some of
            you are serious istorians but I think what I am trying to do is
            elicit some of your favorite apocryphal stories. I, for one,love
            them. Debunk them as you may. I also love debunkation.
            Kudos, good sir. My sentiments exactly. (Seems I should have copied the entire message.) The little stories are the salt on the meat. True or not, they add zest to an ordinally dry exposition of facts. Usually, it doesn't much matter if the story is true or has only been twisted a bit. It becomes more a matter of debate when it is used to prove something or another about a character.

            Meanwhile. Excellent and most enjoyable post.
            Ken
          • John Beatty
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
              Apocryphal tales get people interested. Debunking
              them keep them interested.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
                In a message dated 4/2/2006 10:34:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
                Usually, it doesn't much matter if the story is true or has only been twisted a bit.
                It reminds me of the old Mexican tale of a soldier throwing up three crows.  Starting with the regimental commander down, the story about a soldier throwing up a dark substance changed down through the command that he had thrown up three crows.

                JEJ

                "As fast as we gain one position, the enemy (JEJ) has another all ready."
                William T. Sherman, June 1864
              • keeno2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
                  In a message dated 4/2/2006 9:08:54 PM Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
                  It reminds me of the old Mexican tale of a soldier throwing up three crows.  Starting with the regimental commander down, the story about a soldier throwing up a dark substance changed down through the command that he had thrown up three crows.
                  I like the one from the Mexican War. "Green Grow the Lilacs" was a popular song during that war. And Mexican POWs would hear their guards singing it. As they couldn't speak English and had some difficulty with pronouncing "green grow," it became "gringo."

                  Ken