Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Bragg Vs Forrest

  • SDE80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2006
      In a message dated 4/1/2006 7:24:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, pw541301@... writes:
      Sam Compliments Sir,

      Thedious(SP) Polk was not as good a friend of Jeff Davis As Bragg??
      The Reverand had God on his side but not Jeff Davis- Jeff won.
      His Demise by cannon ball closed the question.
      I think Shermans dispatch stated: "We got the Preacher Today"
      Bragg and Davis were not particularly good friends.  Davis and Polk were indeed good friends.  Probably one reason why Polk felt he could defy Bragg as much as he did.

      Sam Elliott
    • pvtjessett
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2006
        Bob, Compliments Sir,

        I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I just happen to
        notice your inquiry-I appogize(SP).
        Although I have a very "child like mind" I rarely make quotes that I
        can't back up and if my bluff is called I either acknowledge my
        screw up or own up to it.
        The actual quote which reads as follows:"A man I have never
        seen,Sir. His name is Forrest"
        I have seen this same qutoe in several publications but will give
        you the easiest one to document, if this does not suffice please let
        me know and I will give further documentation.
        Title: "May I qoute you General Lee" Randall Bedwell, Gramecy Books,
        Nashville, ISBN 0-517-21992-1, Pg.#54

        Your Humble Servant,
        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@... wrote:

        > I do not think so. I would like to see a source for that quotation.
        >
        > --
        > Take care,
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > Judy and Bob Huddleston
        > 10643 Sperry Street
        > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        > huddleston.r@...

        > From: "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
        > BOB,
        >
        > General Lee when asked after the war by a reporter who his best
        Gen.
        > was answered " A man I have never met named Forrest", A
        > competent "Gen. Officer", well someone thought so
        >
        > Paul
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@ wrote:
        > >
        > > At the bottom of this argument is that what the Forrest
        supporters
        > are arguing is that Forrest is not competent to be a General
        Officer.

        > > Paragraph One of the Army Regulations, both US and CS:
        > >
        > > “1. ALL inferiors are required to obey strictly, and to
        > execute with alacrity and good faith, the lawful orders of the
        > superiors appointed over them.”
        > >
        > > --
        > > Take care,
        > >
        > > Bob
        > >
        > > Judy and Bob Huddleston
        > > 10643 Sperry Street
        > > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        > > huddleston.r@
        > >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "civilwarwest" on the web.

        Service.