Re: Bragg Vs Forrest

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 1, 2006
      Bill Compliments Sir,

      No dog to pick, maybe a Mich. Wolverine , but no dogs.
      Anyway, discussion and diagreement are what history is all about-
      Don't you just love it.
      The story, and it may very well be, was related to me by people in
      Tenn. and in literature, was that some Union Officers came by
      Forrest's farm after the war to pay their respects and "King
      Phillip"(the horse) attacked them as was his notion to anything
      dressed in blue.The "Blue Boys" stood strong and defended
      themselves, A house attendant, couldn't call them servants anymore,
      came running out and told the Officers not to hurt the horse as it
      was the "Ginerals"(not miss spelled). The Officer in charge
      mentioned that "No wonder Forrest did so well during the war, He had
      his Soldiers fighting for him along with his sevants and HIS
      LIVESTOCK" I`m sure it has been imbelished over time but all gossip
      has its roots in fact-EH?

      Paul

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "endeavorgot" <banbruner@...>
      wrote:

      > I have as yet to pick a dog in this fight. But I find the
      argument
      > that Bragg would not overlook a direct challenge to his authority
      as
      > an unconvincing argument. I have seen strict disciplinarians
      flinch
      > from taking positive displinary actions on a number of occasions.
      > People in authority are expected by their superiors to have their
      > authority respected. If those in charge (officers, teachers
      > managers etc.) are constantly having their authority challenged
      and
      > have to appeal to higher authority to back them up, their
      superiors
      > will look askance and wonder if he is up to the job of being a
      > leader.
      >
      > Bragg, no matter how brave, embroiled as he was with a large
      number
      > of his high ranking and respected subordinates may very well have
      > opted to let this moment of heat pass. To have arrested, much
      less
      > shot, Forrest would most likely have ended his command and
      career.
      > Forrest would definitely have gotten a(n) hearing and I don't
      think
      > Bragg would have relished that (I think this is a grand
      > understatment) Consider the witnesses that would have appeared
      > against him.
      >
      > Forrest's true exploits are numerous and many seemingly apocryphal
      > tales have arisen. Some may be true some may have entered the
      realm
      > of folklore. Such as, from his horse, grabbing and hoisting an
      enemy
      > trooper to use as a shield for his escape. My favorite being,
      that
      > after the war his horse that he had ridden in battle, hitched to
      his
      > wife's carriage on a shopping trip, seeing policemen dressed in
      > blue, on his own, charged them, carriage and all.
      >
      > Bill Bruner

    • pvtjessett
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2006
        Bob, Compliments Sir,

        I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I just happen to
        notice your inquiry-I appogize(SP).
        Although I have a very "child like mind" I rarely make quotes that I
        can't back up and if my bluff is called I either acknowledge my
        screw up or own up to it.
        The actual quote which reads as follows:"A man I have never
        seen,Sir. His name is Forrest"
        I have seen this same qutoe in several publications but will give
        you the easiest one to document, if this does not suffice please let
        me know and I will give further documentation.
        Title: "May I qoute you General Lee" Randall Bedwell, Gramecy Books,
        Nashville, ISBN 0-517-21992-1, Pg.#54

        Your Humble Servant,
        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@... wrote:

        > I do not think so. I would like to see a source for that quotation.
        >
        > --
        > Take care,
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > Judy and Bob Huddleston
        > 10643 Sperry Street
        > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        > huddleston.r@...

        > From: "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
        > BOB,
        >
        > General Lee when asked after the war by a reporter who his best
        Gen.
        > was answered " A man I have never met named Forrest", A
        > competent "Gen. Officer", well someone thought so
        >
        > Paul
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@ wrote:
        > >
        > > At the bottom of this argument is that what the Forrest
        supporters
        > are arguing is that Forrest is not competent to be a General
        Officer.

        > > Paragraph One of the Army Regulations, both US and CS:
        > >
        > > “1. ALL inferiors are required to obey strictly, and to
        > execute with alacrity and good faith, the lawful orders of the
        > superiors appointed over them.”
        > >
        > > --
        > > Take care,
        > >
        > > Bob
        > >
        > > Judy and Bob Huddleston
        > > 10643 Sperry Street
        > > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        > > huddleston.r@
        > >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "civilwarwest" on the web.

        Service.