Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Question about Bragg

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 115 , Mar 31, 2006
      In a message dated 3/30/2006 8:50:55 P.M. Central Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
      And we know that Dr. Cowan was there and was not later embellishing Forrest's Legend? Please forgive, I read these in my inbox and have little access to mail much more than a day old. If I'm recalling correctly, someone questioned the good doctor's reliability. What was the upshot of that. One account. No corroboration. It sounds like something Forrest might have said. Could be. Maybe not. An interesting story, though.
      Ken

      J. B. Cowan was Forrest's chief surgeon. The incident supposedly happened in mid-October, after Forrest had applied for and got a 10 day leave of absence. Forrest went to Lagrange, GA, and there received notification that his command had been assigned to Wheeler. Forrest had already told everyone that he would not serve under Wheeler, and this is supposed to have precipitated the incident.

      According to Cowan, Forrest summoned him to go along to Bragg's HQ. There, he witnessed the incident.

      Cowan told this story to Wyeth, who published his bio around the turn of  the century. This is the  first time the story appeared in print. Subsequent biographers have repeated it, but they all cite Wyeth as the source.

      Let's examine some aspects of the story, however.

      Forrest is at Lagrange. Bragg is at his HQ, apparently up on Missionary Ridge at this time. Lagrange is SW of Atlanta, and something like 150 miles away from Bragg's HQ. That is not a casual ride over. That is a couple day's journey by train, a week or so by horse.

      Was Cowan still on duty? Was he on leave with Forrest? In mid-october, Forrest's divisions were either up in East Tennessee, or with Wheeler on the October Raid, so if Cowan was on duty, he would be with those men, nowhere near Bragg's HQ. If Forrest's staff all took leave when their boss did, where they still hanging around the army? Did Cowan accompany Forrest to and from Lagrange? It would be interesting to pull Cowan's service record to see what that shows...

      Why do Jordan and Pryor, who published in 1868, not mention any of this? why do none of the other numerous sources of men who served or rode with Forrest mention it?

      I just find the story as presented far too full of holes to be credible, especially without contemporary evidence.

      Dave Powell
    • pvtjessett
      Message 115 of 115 , Apr 8, 2006
        Bob, Compliments Sir,

        I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I just happen to
        notice your inquiry-I appogize(SP).
        Although I have a very "child like mind" I rarely make quotes that I
        can't back up and if my bluff is called I either acknowledge my
        screw up or own up to it.
        The actual quote which reads as follows:"A man I have never
        seen,Sir. His name is Forrest"
        I have seen this same qutoe in several publications but will give
        you the easiest one to document, if this does not suffice please let
        me know and I will give further documentation.
        Title: "May I qoute you General Lee" Randall Bedwell, Gramecy Books,
        Nashville, ISBN 0-517-21992-1, Pg.#54

        Your Humble Servant,
        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@... wrote:

        > I do not think so. I would like to see a source for that quotation.
        >
        > --
        > Take care,
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > Judy and Bob Huddleston
        > 10643 Sperry Street
        > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        > huddleston.r@...

        > From: "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
        > BOB,
        >
        > General Lee when asked after the war by a reporter who his best
        Gen.
        > was answered " A man I have never met named Forrest", A
        > competent "Gen. Officer", well someone thought so
        >
        > Paul
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@ wrote:
        > >
        > > At the bottom of this argument is that what the Forrest
        supporters
        > are arguing is that Forrest is not competent to be a General
        Officer.

        > > Paragraph One of the Army Regulations, both US and CS:
        > >
        > > “1. ALL inferiors are required to obey strictly, and to
        > execute with alacrity and good faith, the lawful orders of the
        > superiors appointed over them.”
        > >
        > > --
        > > Take care,
        > >
        > > Bob
        > >
        > > Judy and Bob Huddleston
        > > 10643 Sperry Street
        > > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        > > huddleston.r@
        > >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "civilwarwest" on the web.

        Service.