Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Maj. Gen. Hood

  • Chet Diestel
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 26 7:04 AM
          It is virtually impossible to defend the military abilities of Polk, even if I had a desire to do so. He was a liablity from his first command to his death, and that goes to the weakness of the pool of top commanders available to the Confederacy once you got pass Lee.
         As to Hill and Hindman --- as it was with the breaking up of the divisions --- my argument revolves around the issue of timing. In going after the defeated Army of the Cumberland in Chattanooga, it was no time to do such a massive shake up of the army both in its command structure and the assignment of units. It did nothing to strengthen the Southern army and only served to weaken its combat ability.
         With regards,
                       Chet

      LWhite64@... wrote:
       I would argue though that Polk was so bad he had to go, he shouldnt have still been with the army anyway.  Hill and Hindman failed very badly as well, BUT I do agree that the breaking up of the Divisions, etc was a very bad move on Bragg's part, although some of it was positive, the removal of the 41st Alabama in the Orphan Brigade and adding the 5th Kentucky, to make it an all Kentucky Brigade, then also the creation of Finley's Florida Brigade.

      Lee