Re: Midwest prisons for Confederates

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
      Mr. Hall Compliments, Once Again,

      Something that I did find a little strange as both letters I have in
      my care both have a a printed heading of "Liberty" like on the back
      of a half dollar (am I showing my age), and the saying under it "No
      North No South Nor East or West, Only Union". Might be a small
      detail but interesting.

      Paul

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jimchristianhall"
      <jimchristianhall@...> wrote:

      > Hi Paul,
      >
      > Thank you for sharing some of your ancestor's writings about Camp
      > Morton. I don't know if you are aware, but prison officials read
      the
      > letters of prisoners and censored them. I am surprised your GG
      > grandfather was able to communicate as much as he was (especially
      > about the shooting of prisoners while they slept in their sheds).
      >
      > Paul, I think "The Rock" was likely Rock Island Prison in Illinois.
      > The nickname for the New York Prison Elmire was "Hellmira."
      >
      > Thanks, Jim Hall
      > <
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@>
      wrote:

      > > Mr. Jim Compliments,
      > >
      > > I dropped you a line earlier but being a prison person I need a
      > > question answered. My great X 2 spent time in Camp Morton in
      Ind.
      > > But his Commander R.S.Cluke (Roy or Leroy first name) was not
      sent
      > > to the Ohio pen. with Morgan and some others but was sent
      to "The
      > > Rock" and perished there. My question is, is "The Rock" in N.Y.
      or a
      > > prison in Lake Erie here in Mich?? Not an emergency to know but
      > > would tie up one of those "loose" ends we all wonder about.
      Thanks.