Re: Speaking of "small," anyone heard of Corydon battle?

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 25 2:27 PM
      Mr. Jim Compliments Sir,

      I have a couple of letters that my Great X 2 grandfather by the name
      of John Barker ( who's mother Caroline my mother was named after)
      most of what he wrote was relatively mundane personal stuff and not
      much to do with the camp itself although mentioning it was very cold
      and the lack of heat along with extended periods of roll call out in
      the elements. He did mention in one the peculiar(SP) thing of the
      yanks firing their guns from the cat walk into the barracks if a
      light was seen within them at night. Other than that he did mention
      that "There are a great many rascals in this command that bring
      odium on us all", doesn't sound good. In one letter where he pleads
      with his father, near Perryville KY, to write him he states write
      all you can but "do not write of politics for it is a hateful
      subject to me and does no good", rather insightful for a 19 year old
      kid-EH?

      Paul

      -- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jimchristianhall"
      <jimchristianhall@...> wrote:

      > Hi Paul and all,
      >
      > I wish I had "met" you before I joined this group because I would
      have
      > been interested in your g-g-grandpa's writings while he was in Camp
      > Morton. I recently have published a book about Camp Morton (Den of
      > Misery: Indiana's Civil War Prison, Pelican Publishing Co.) and in
      my
      > book I tell that there were about 1,100 of Morgan's men
      incarcerated
      > in the Camp Morton prison. Could you share some of what your
      > g-g-grandpa wrote about his time there?
      >
      > Compliments to you, Jim Hall
      > <
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@>
      wrote:

      > > Mr. Graff, Compliments Sir,
      > >
      > > Your description seems to be very acurate. My Great, Great grand
      > > fathers account owns right up with yours, he kept a diary of the
      > > raid and "got it out" before being captured at Buffington Island
      and
      > > sent to Camp Morton at Inianapolis, where he aslo kept notes.
      > > Althogh he never mentioned Artty, he was a horse person so
      cannon
      > > people may never entered his thoughts as far as writing about
      them.

      > > Paul
      > >
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Dan G <dan6764@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good Evening:
      > > > Just a little info on the Battle of Corydon IN...
      > > >
      > > > Corydon is located about 25 miles southwest of Louisville,
      KY..
      > > The Battle happened on July 9, 1863.. About 450 home guard
      troops
      > > armed with an assortment of weapons confronted Morgan and his
      men
      > > about a mile south of town.. Morgans forces numbered in the
      2000
      > > range.. The home guard had plenty of warning that Morgan was
      coming
      > > because of his crossing the Ohio at Brandenburg, KY when they
      also
      > > burned one of the steamers they used to cross the Ohio..
      > > > The Home Guard was behind breastworks that they had built
      across
      > > the road prior to Morgan's appearance. The Home Guard opened
      fire
      > > from behind these works but were soon forced out by Morgan's
      > > artillery and a flank attack on each flank by Morgan's men. The
      > > Guard retreated into town where they soon surrendered and were
      > > subsequently paroled..
      > > > Morgan took possession of the town.. Two stores in town paid
      > > $300 each to keep from being burned. It cost each of the three
      > > mills $700 each to escape the same fate.. Likewise, other
      citizens
      > > were relieved of horses, cash and other valuables..
      > > > Morgan made his headquarters in the Kintner Hotel in
      Corydon..
      > > Him and his staff were having lunch in the hotel when the
      owner's
      > > daughter walked in and handed him a newspaper announcing the
      > > surrender at Vicksburg and the Confederate defeat at
      Gettysburg..
      > > At this point Morgan ordered his officers to round up the men
      and
      > > left Corydon..
      > > > Total casualties in the battle
      > > > Union 3 killed 2 wounded.. There were about 300 captured..
      all