Re: Reference material

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
      Mr. Hooper, Compliments sir,
      I have spent a brief period in your "Borro" on Forrests trail and
      found what little time I spent there enjoyable. Being at this point
      in time from the U.P. of Mich.(a life long Michigander) it gets tuff
      to get down that direction anymore. I do try to go down to a friends
      in Tex. every couple of years and always drive, as he would have me
      fly. Can't see where I've been if you fly. Tenn. is a very proud and
      beautiful State. Have spent much time in the western part along with
      northern Miss. Some of the best pork BBQ available. My only regret
      is I have not made Memphis (Forrest's burial site ) yet. A comedy of
      errors always seems to prevent it.

      As far as your choice of authors I can't disagree with you but at
      the same time reading the "Period" people gives more of a feel for
      the situation at the time. I believe it was Jordan/Pryor book that
      was wriiten just a couple of years after the conflict so you get a
      real, not as complete with hindsight though, feel for the times.
      Anyhow thaks for the come back and I'm sure we will be talking again.

      Paul

      -- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, hooperjwboro@... wrote:

      > Greetings Paul,
      > I think Hurst is the easier read because of your points. My
      first years ago was The Critter Company. I would reread every two or
      three pages and still was lost. From Murfreesboro I live in his back
      yard and can not understand the playdown of his accomplishments by
      regarding it as myth. April 1st, here in the Boro at Oaklands
      Mansion where part of the 9th Michigan and the 7th Penns. were
      camped , there will be a reenactment of Forrest's raid there and at
      the Courthouse where Gen. Criitendon was captured July 13, 1862.