Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Snake Creek Gap and Resaca, again

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 21, 2006
      In a message dated 3/20/2006 8:58:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, sputnik842002@... writes:
      "If the region was "spy-ridden", then obviously the Confederate spies
      failed Johnston most miserably when he needed them, for throughout the
      first week of the campaign he lacked precise and reliable information
      about the movements and location of the Army of the Tennessee until
      after it attacked Cantey at Resaca."
      The cavalry are the eyes of the army, and Wheeler let Johnston down tremendously.  On the other hand, McPherson's spies kept him abreast on the movements of Johnston's main force quite accurately.

      JEJ

      "As fast as we gain one position, the enemy (JEJ) has another all ready."
      William T. Sherman, June 1864
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com