Re: [civilwarwest] The weather

  • lilsteve68@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
      In a message dated 4/4/01 11:18:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
      FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

      Wayne      (who almost lost his shoes in the mud and ruined a good pair of
      pants when the mud stain would not come out.)

      Gives u a little insite on what the rains did to the troops Back then..

      Also
      << And remembering that April 6 is the anniversary of the battle there.

      Remember all the stories about how battles caused massive rain storms?

      Bob >>

      I never heard thiis before.. is there anmy truth to this or just what they
      thought at the time...  Steven in Tn

      The American Civil War
      Your Most Obediant  Servant
      Steven N. Cone
      Aka
      "Little Steve"
    • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2001
        Bob-
        Very interesting observation about Shiloh and weather. Since 1987 I
        have tried to make two marches (since I ceased reenacting more
        appropriately called hikes - VBG) each year. In early April as close
        to the Anniversary as possible I hike from North Corinth to Shiloh
        Church and the park (maybe 17 miles). If memory serves me correctly
        of the 14 years I have done this 10 of the years some form of the wet
        stuff has fallen on me during this two day excursion. One year - the
        first it was snow! That year a group of almost two hundred marched
        the rout and it remains one of my fondest reenacting memories. I was
        a rookie and ill prepared for the march the light snow and the
        unexpected cold weather really was a physical challenge to me and
        others. Also since we were taking some old poorly marked logging
        roads we got a little lost! It was an awful like the real thing, at
        least I throught so at the time.
        The back way that I go is alwqays muddy and the ground is damp.
        March in West Tennessee is simply always a very damp month.
        Once again this year it is looking like a little rain will fall
        during the trek. I dress differently now, no uniform, Doc Martin's
        and hiking gear-- I also do not attract as much attention from the
        locals! LOL
        Right now in Memphis it is a fairly typical early spring day very
        cloudy with misting off and on and temperatures ranging from 62-80
        predicted.
        On at least three occasions the hike has been in real frog drowning
        weather! As Wayne points out in 1997 a second major reenactment of
        the battle was again attempted ( the first being the highly
        successful but unseasonably cold one in 1987). About mid day on
        Saturday the event simply had to be called off because of the
        continuing rain. Although the temperature was not too bad as best as
        I can remember the scene was pretty dismal. Most of the CS camps
        where simply under water. Believe me no fun trying to sleep in a 1"
        of water.
        As far as mud and its effect upon troop movements it is really hard
        to give a full discription of what it must have been like back in the
        good old days! Reenactors simply do not 'churn' up the ground the
        same amount as the real fells did because they are not nearly as
        dependent upon horse and mule drawn transportation. Even still if you
        take a little mud puddle and march a couple hundred guys through it,
        they can 'churn ' that little puddle into a real deep , slippery mess
        in no time. When things really get bad for reenactors we can always
        fall back on pick-up trucks and tractors. Not an option in the old
        days.
        This is more than you want to know but the most miserable night I
        ever spent reenacting was not the 12 degree night at Franklin Tn. in
        1989 ( i just got so drunk I passed out that night) but 1988
        Chickamauga when it poured cats and dogs ALL NIGHT LONG! It was pitch
        black and it was reported to have rained 4" that night. It was the
        spin off storms from a Gulf Coast hurricane. Raining so hard, no way
        to lay down, no fire possible and no shelter -- you had to avoid the
        trees for fear of lighting strikes. For those who had pitched tents
        the day before, every one was over by midnight and no amount of
        trenching kept the water from flowing in. By about 3 am the little
        meandering stream called Chattanooga Creek had turned into a raging
        white water river. So powerful was the water flow that the NATIONAL
        GUARD INSTALLED BRIDGES WHERE SWEPT AWAY! Thus turning a pleasant 500
        yards walk from parking to camps into a 3 mile march!
        All of that said it truly is amazing to observe just how quickly a
        little sunshine and a good breeze quickly drys up the effects of such
        a rain storm.
        I have digressed - no more 'war stories!' LOL
        Regards-
        Wakefield
      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2001
          sdwakefield@... writes:

          << As Wayne points out in 1997 a second major reenactment of
          the battle was again attempted ( the first being the highly
          successful but unseasonably cold one in 1987). About mid day on
          Saturday the event simply had to be called off because of the
          continuing rain. Although the temperature was not too bad as best as
          I can remember the scene was pretty dismal. Most of the CS camps
          where simply under water. Believe me no fun trying to sleep in a 1"
          of water. >>

          The memory of the 1997 event has always left a sour taste in my throat.
          First of all, the sponsors calling the event off. What more authentic and
          realistic conditions of the original battle could you find. Secondly, the
          field day the locals had in charging $100 per vehicle cash only, to use their
          tractors to pull cars, horse trailers, or cannon trailers from the fields.
          If one had a car and a trailer, it cost them $200 to get out of the muddy
          parking fields. A few reenactors with 4-wheel vehicles tried to help out
          their comrades with no fees, but the for the locals, it is hard for me to
          support another event at Mudloh.

          Your obedient servant,

          Wayne Bengston (BTW who is not a reenactor but respects those that do)
        • Bob Huddleston
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2001
            Very good. And all too true! :>(

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
            303.451.6276   Adco@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2001
              Wakefield provided a good answer: *That* sort of weather *is* common.

              If you check on the Battle of Island #10, which was at the same time, you see that the storm moved through that area (the Missouri boot hill) the day before it arrived at Shiloh.

              The same thing about the horrendous storm on July 4, 1863 at Gettysburg. I have a diary entry of a man in Cleveland who was getting drowned <vbg> on June 30 and July 1 -- a storm front moving SE.

              The Mud March that destroyed Burnside was a typical nor'easter, fine weather followed by a bad storm. And we forget how the weather, in an age innocent of hard surface roads, impacted operations.

              A final example: campaigning weather started the first week in May in Virginia in 1862, 1863 and 1864.

              So Booth's kidnapping plan was to grab Lincoln in early April of '65 and take him to Richmond. But the weather turned nice in March (vide Five Forks), so the Confederacy had gone up the spout before the Booth's plan could begin.

              But spring

              Take care,

              Bob

              Judy and Bob Huddleston
              10643 Sperry Street
              Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
              303.451.6276   Adco@...

              FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

              Wayne      (who almost lost his shoes in the mud and ruined a good pair of
              pants

              Gives u a little insite on what the rains did to the troops Back then..

              Also
              when the mud stain would not come out.)

              << And remembering that April 6 is the anniversary of the battle there.

              Remember all the stories about how battles caused massive rain storms?

               Wakefield provided a Bob >>

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7, 2001
                Wakefield,

                Very good post. A real keeper.

[...]