Stones River,

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
      Mr. Hooper, Compliments,
      Stones River as I remember was not one of Forrest's shinning moments
      but as probably the finest cavalry commander of the war (R.E. Lee
      aknowledged-SP), Follow him ,Forrest, and have a good ride right up
      to the end.
      Pvt.Jessett

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, hooperjwboro@... wrote:

      > Nick,
      > My mother grew up in East Point and I spent time there with
      grandmother in the 60's and early 70's.
      > Then it was lower middle class , clean and safe. Now IMO, it has
      degraded to an unsafe area.
      > Located in south Atlanta ,just northwest of the airport . The
      railroad runs through a dilapidated area and honestly I don't know
      of any museums or sights. Surely there are plaques and signs.
      > I have lived next to the Stones River Battlefield for 35 years
      and my interest has been there and the many sights of Forrest that
      surround me.
      > Maybe some of the others can help if there is any significant
      sights in East Point.

      > --
      >
      > Respectfully,
      > John Hooper

    • pvtjessett
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
        wrote:

        > Mr. Hooper, Compliments,
        > Stones River as I remember was not one of Forrest's shinning
        moments
        > but as probably the finest cavalry commander of the war (R.E. Lee
        > aknowledged-SP), Follow him ,Forrest, and have a good ride right
        up
        > to the end.
        > Pvt.Jessett
        > Not so much a Forrest problem as another Braxton Bragg problem.
        When Forrest returned from patrol Bragg had retreated again
        beyond "Stones River". Little side bar: Bragg once asked a soldier
        if he knew what "Reteat " meant, The trooper with all do respect I'm
        sure answered "Yes Sir, I've fought with you for two years".
        pvt.jessett
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, hooperjwboro@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Nick,
        > > My mother grew up in East Point and I spent time there with
        > grandmother in the 60's and early 70's.
        > > Then it was lower middle class , clean and safe. Now IMO, it
        has
        > degraded to an unsafe area.
        > > Located in south Atlanta ,just northwest of the airport .
        The
        > railroad runs through a dilapidated area and honestly I don't know
        > of any museums or sights. Surely there are plaques and signs.
        > > I have lived next to the Stones River Battlefield for 35
        years
        > and my interest has been there and the many sights of Forrest that
        > surround me.
        > > Maybe some of the others can help if there is any significant
        > sights in East Point.
        > >
        > > --
        > >
        > > Respectfully,
        > > John Hooper