Re: Digest Number 2519

  • Dan Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
      Which reminds of Bragg, about whom it was said, "He never forgot a
      tactic or a strategy. Or learned a new one."---Dan

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@... wrote:

      > Well Hood's tactics didnt change in his entire career. When he was
      > lieutenant in the 2nd US Cavlary in July of 1857, he led a
      detachment of the 2nd
      > into a fight near Devil's River in south Texas. In the fight with
      Commanches

    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
        In a message dated 3/3/2006 4:48:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, DanGiallo@... writes:

        Which reminds of Bragg, about whom it was said, "He never forgot a
        tactic or a strategy. Or learned a new one."---
        Well like so much that was said of Bragg, I dont think that one is true.  He certainly had a lot of faults, but what little that was made to advance tactics in the army was done by him.  Also, I would argue that his strategic use of the railroads in 62, led to one of the greatest reverses of the war, when he forced Buell to leave north Alabama and chase him into Kentucky.  So the old dog deserves some credit.

        Lee