RE: [civilwarwest] Hood/Grant/Patton

  • David Wall
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Well said Scott! Plus, when Grant crossed the river at Bruinsburg, he was
      outnumbered by Pemberton and Johnston. He out manuvered them untill Sherman
      arrived, then he outmanuvered them some more. Plus his superiority of
      "supplies" was nonexistant. He had what the troops could carry. And his
      supply line was tenuous or non-existant. In any event, what there was, was
      real wet and muddy.
      I am not certain, but I think that "whoever" was in command of the
      Confederates, had a numerical advantage when Grant approached Ft. Donalson.

      David Wall aka edkiniry

    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
        In a message dated 3/1/2006 5:01:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, shenandoah64@... writes:
        Hood lacked the strategic
        ability and patience to plan a meticulous combined
        arms campaign such as Grant delivered at Ft. Donelson
        and Vicksburg.
        Not trying to be picky nicky, but it was Jamie McPherson that meticulously planned Grant's campaign at Ft Donelson.

        JEJ
      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 3/1/2006 5:01:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > shenandoah64@... writes:
          >
          > Hood lacked the strategic
          > ability and patience to plan a meticulous combined
          > arms campaign such as Grant delivered at Ft. Donelson
          > and Vicksburg.
          >

          > Not trying to be picky nicky, but it was Jamie McPherson that
          meticulously
          > planned Grant's campaign at Ft Donelson.

          I thought McPherson, as chief engineer, merely directed where the
          troops should deploy once the army had landed, and that Grant was
          responsible for the overall strategic plan.