Hood/Grant/Patton

  • S P
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      I would have to respectfully disagree that Grant and
      Patton were like Hood. Hood lacked the strategic
      ability and patience to plan a meticulous combined
      arms campaign such as Grant delivered at Ft. Donelson
      and Vicksburg.

      As for Patton, his performance in at the Bulge pulling
      out of one enagagement and moving to restore the
      broken Allied line shows flexibility and adaptability
      that Hood clearly lacked.

      I would put Hood in the same class as the WWI Generals
      who ordered the over the top frontal assaults against
      enemy entrenchments.

      Scott

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • David Wall
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        Well said Scott! Plus, when Grant crossed the river at Bruinsburg, he was
        outnumbered by Pemberton and Johnston. He out manuvered them untill Sherman
        arrived, then he outmanuvered them some more. Plus his superiority of
        "supplies" was nonexistant. He had what the troops could carry. And his
        supply line was tenuous or non-existant. In any event, what there was, was
        real wet and muddy.
        I am not certain, but I think that "whoever" was in command of the
        Confederates, had a numerical advantage when Grant approached Ft. Donalson.

        David Wall aka edkiniry

      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
          In a message dated 3/1/2006 5:01:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, shenandoah64@... writes:
          Hood lacked the strategic
          ability and patience to plan a meticulous combined
          arms campaign such as Grant delivered at Ft. Donelson
          and Vicksburg.
          Not trying to be picky nicky, but it was Jamie McPherson that meticulously planned Grant's campaign at Ft Donelson.

          JEJ
        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 3/1/2006 5:01:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > shenandoah64@... writes:
            >
            > Hood lacked the strategic
            > ability and patience to plan a meticulous combined
            > arms campaign such as Grant delivered at Ft. Donelson
            > and Vicksburg.
            >

            > Not trying to be picky nicky, but it was Jamie McPherson that
            meticulously
            > planned Grant's campaign at Ft Donelson.

            I thought McPherson, as chief engineer, merely directed where the
            troops should deploy once the army had landed, and that Grant was
            responsible for the overall strategic plan.