  • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Nick,
      My mother grew up in East Point and I spent time there with grandmother in the 60's and early 70's.
      Then it was lower middle class , clean and safe. Now IMO, it has degraded to an unsafe area.
      Located in south Atlanta ,just northwest of the airport . The railroad runs through a dilapidated area and honestly I don't know of any museums or sights. Surely there are plaques and signs.
      I have lived next to the Stones River Battlefield for 35 years and my interest has been there and the many sights of Forrest that surround me.
      Maybe some of the others can help if there is any significant sights in East Point.

      --

      Respectfully,
      John Hooper
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
        Mr. Hooper, Compliments,
        Stones River as I remember was not one of Forrest's shinning moments
        but as probably the finest cavalry commander of the war (R.E. Lee
        aknowledged-SP), Follow him ,Forrest, and have a good ride right up
        to the end.
        Pvt.Jessett

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, hooperjwboro@... wrote:

        > Nick,
        > My mother grew up in East Point and I spent time there with
        grandmother in the 60's and early 70's.
        > Then it was lower middle class , clean and safe. Now IMO, it has
        degraded to an unsafe area.
        > Located in south Atlanta ,just northwest of the airport . The
        railroad runs through a dilapidated area and honestly I don't know
        of any museums or sights. Surely there are plaques and signs.
        > I have lived next to the Stones River Battlefield for 35 years
        and my interest has been there and the many sights of Forrest that
        surround me.
        > Maybe some of the others can help if there is any significant
        sights in East Point.

        > --
        >
        > Respectfully,
        > John Hooper

      • pvtjessett
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
          wrote:

          > Mr. Hooper, Compliments,
          > Stones River as I remember was not one of Forrest's shinning
          moments
          > but as probably the finest cavalry commander of the war (R.E. Lee
          > aknowledged-SP), Follow him ,Forrest, and have a good ride right
          up
          > to the end.
          > Pvt.Jessett
          > Not so much a Forrest problem as another Braxton Bragg problem.
          When Forrest returned from patrol Bragg had retreated again
          beyond "Stones River". Little side bar: Bragg once asked a soldier
          if he knew what "Reteat " meant, The trooper with all do respect I'm
          sure answered "Yes Sir, I've fought with you for two years".
          pvt.jessett
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, hooperjwboro@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Nick,
          > > My mother grew up in East Point and I spent time there with
          > grandmother in the 60's and early 70's.
          > > Then it was lower middle class , clean and safe. Now IMO, it
          has
          > degraded to an unsafe area.
          > > Located in south Atlanta ,just northwest of the airport .
          The
          > railroad runs through a dilapidated area and honestly I don't know
          > of any museums or sights. Surely there are plaques and signs.
          > > I have lived next to the Stones River Battlefield for 35
          years
          > and my interest has been there and the many sights of Forrest that
          > surround me.
          > > Maybe some of the others can help if there is any significant
          > sights in East Point.
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > > Respectfully,
          > > John Hooper