Re: [civilwarwest] Hood

  • Mark Schmidt
    Message 1 of 156 , Feb 28 8:34 PM
      I agree they were great but the sad thing is that in 1990 when I was in the Navy I was in several 3rd world nations and they had it worse then the people in our 1860's did.
      It was very sad but very real. It has helped me I think to understand them better.
      To them it was the was it was. See say it was very bad in hind site but to then it was a great life.
      Mark

      GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:
      In a message dated 2/28/2006 7:02:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, perrihistorian35@... writes:
      We have to bear in mind that they were human, and by that very fact, imperfect.  It is my belief that there were no perfect soldiers.
      On the other hand, they were rugged individuals.  I wonder at times, how many of us could survive on the rations they received.  How many of us would survive with the clothing that they had during both hot summer days and extremely cold winter days and nights.  How many of us could march on ice or in snow barefooted and yet, be ready to advance in formation against the enemy.  You say to bear in mind that they were human.  I believe that at times they were more than human, they were super human.

      JEJ

    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 156 of 156 , Mar 25, 2006
        In a message dated 3/25/2006 3:33:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, LWhite64@... writes:
        It interests me that Hardee would harshly criticise Deas, a friend, for intoxication and not say anything about Hood, whom he disliked.  Also, interesting that Hardee does not mention Hood's failure to attack at Cassville.
        Thanks, Lee.  Interesting indeed.

        Sam Elliott