Re: [civilwarwest] Digest Number 2519

  • S P
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hood in the East:

      In studying the Second Battle of Manassas, I have
      concluded that Hood's overaggressiveness disrupted the
      timing of Longstreet's overall attack and, thereby,
      ruined the best opportunity Lee had to destroy an
      opposing Union force (opportunity to do so brought to
      you courtesy of John Pope).

      Hood's attack was quite "macho" on the part of the
      Texas Brigade, but its rapid pace increased casualties
      and caused the overall attack to degenerate into a
      piecemeal assault (as Longstreet feared when he went
      after Hood to warn him against just such an occurence.

      In short, Hood never excercised much judgment in my
      opinion, and I agree with the post that says others
      planned and oversaw his successful attacks in the
      east. He could be counted on to attack aggressively,
      but as Lee warned he was too much the lion.

      Hope to have my book out on Longstreet's attack on
      August 30, 1862 by year end. Hennessy wrote an
      introduction for it.

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mark Schmidt
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
        Everybody may not it this way, but I always thought that Hood, Grant and WWII general Patton, all had about the same style of attack. All blood and guts.
        They came straight at you with everything they had.
        The trouble for hood was that he had neither the overwelming number of men and war supplies Like Grant and Patton had. Both of them knew their enemy had few men and used them up. They had the men needed to through into battle to win this way. Hood just did not.
        Mark

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Mail

      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
          No kidding, you have a book on the way? Fantastic. Give me, us, a little
          information to be looking out for it.
          Tom

> [...]

          > the Battle of Shiloh. He had been a brigade
          > commander since Sept. 1861 and was becoming ill in
          > March 1862. He welcomed the arrival of Colonel
          > George Maney who was the senior colonel of the
          > brigade and would have assumed command of the
          > brigade but was delayed by his Battalion of the 1st
          > Tennessee being assigned to right flank duties and
          > was not with the brigade. Colonel Stephens
          > literally got out of sick bed and led the first
          > charge against the Hornets Nest by the confederates.
          > After the charge, about 10:30, he was too exhausted
          > to command the brigade further. Colonel Maney
          > arrived about 2:30 and took charge of the brigade.
          >
          > Sorry this wasn't about General McNair but the
          > similarity caught my attention. With the state of
          > health that existed with these men in active field
          > operations, it is no wonder this didn't happen more

          === message truncated ===

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            Well Hood's tactics didnt change in his entire career.  When he was a lieutenant in the 2nd US Cavlary in July of 1857, he led a detachment of the 2nd into a fight near Devil's River in south Texas.  In the fight with Commanches that followed, Liet. Hood would lead 17 troopers against 45 natives who held the high ground and were largely concealed.  Hood was wounded with an arrow through his left hand, which he yanked free in the fight, along with three other troopers, and had two men killed.  He was forced to fall back, but was not pursued by the Commanches.

            Lee
          • Dan Giallombardo
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
              Which reminds of Bragg, about whom it was said, "He never forgot a
              tactic or a strategy. Or learned a new one."---Dan

            • LWhite64@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
                In a message dated 3/3/2006 4:48:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, DanGiallo@... writes:

                Which reminds of Bragg, about whom it was said, "He never forgot a
                tactic or a strategy. Or learned a new one."---
                Well like so much that was said of Bragg, I dont think that one is true.  He certainly had a lot of faults, but what little that was made to advance tactics in the army was done by him.  Also, I would argue that his strategic use of the railroads in 62, led to one of the greatest reverses of the war, when he forced Buell to leave north Alabama and chase him into Kentucky.  So the old dog deserves some credit.

                Lee