Re: Regiments

  • sputnik842002
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
      Thanks.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
      wrote:

      > The Confederacy began changing in January 1862, the designation of
      regiments that contained troops from different states. Special Order
      25, dated January 31st, 1862 from the Adjutant & Inspector General's
      office in Richmond changed the 36th Georgia Regiment to the 1st
      Confederate Regiment, the 25th Mississippi Regiment became the 2nd
      Confederate Regiment and the 18th Arkansas Regiment became the 3rd
      Confederate Regiment. This order appears on page 262 of the 110th
      volume of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. (Series
      I, Volume 52, serial 110, page 262) The best example of a mixed
      regiment is the 1st Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi Regiment which
      later became the 4th Confederate Regiment. This information appears
      on page 211 of same volume. The 40th Tennessee Regiment later became
      the 5th Confederate Regiment on February 25th, 1862 by virtue of
      Special Order 45 from same authority as S. O. 25. The 10th
      Confederate Regiment was formed from the 19th Georgia Battalion and
      the 5th Georgia? Battalion December 30th, 1862 by Special Order 305
      dated December 30th 1862 (page 402). All this information from same
      volume.
      > More information appears in "Units of the Confederate States Army"
      by Joseph H. Crute Jr.

      > Short answer, mixed units became regular confederate army.
      >
      > Ron

      Service.