Re: [civilwarwest] C.S.S. H. L. Hunley

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
      In a message dated 4/3/01 10:40:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
      writes:

      << Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when
      they
      were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve... >>
      Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley :-)
    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
        In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

        Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley   :-)

        Boy..This is a tough group...:-)  Regards, Steve.
      • Margaret D. Blough
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
          Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

          In a message dated 4/3/01 12:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          ParrotheadDan@... writes:

          << I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
          and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
          continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
          "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan >>

          Dan,
          Eventually the remains of the Hunley's crew will be interred in Magnolia
          Cemetary in Charleston, along side of the other crew members that died when

          it sunk twice before, and along side of the grave of Hunley himself. There

          is already a monument there describing the deeds of these men.

          Last May, Rick Hatcher, Chief Historian of Fort Moultrie and Sumter (and
          also
          co-author of the book "Wilson Creek".) took a group of us there and
          mesmerized us with a talk about all the history of the Hunley.

          Your obedient servant,

          Wayne Bengston
          <

          Wayne,

          Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
          Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
          Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
          Creek.

          Regards,

          Margaret
        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
            In a message dated 4/3/01 11:41:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            102505.271@... writes:

            << Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
            Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
            Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
            Creek.

            Regards,

            Margaret

            If there is ever a muster at Charleston, I am sure that Rick would be more
            than glad to serve as guide and teacher. He is great, not only in his
            knowledge, but as an individual. He barely beats out his wife with knowledge
            about the war in that area.

            Wayne