Re: [civilwarwest] C.S.S. H. L. Hunley

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
      In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:18:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

      Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

      Wayne

      Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when they
      were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve...
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
        In a message dated 4/3/01 10:40:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
        writes:

        << Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when
        they
        were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve... >>
        Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley :-)
      • basecat1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
          In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

          Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley   :-)

          Boy..This is a tough group...:-)  Regards, Steve.
        • Margaret D. Blough
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
            Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

            In a message dated 4/3/01 12:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ParrotheadDan@... writes:

            << I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
            and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
            continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
            "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan >>

            Dan,
            Eventually the remains of the Hunley's crew will be interred in Magnolia
            Cemetary in Charleston, along side of the other crew members that died when

            it sunk twice before, and along side of the grave of Hunley himself. There

            is already a monument there describing the deeds of these men.

            Last May, Rick Hatcher, Chief Historian of Fort Moultrie and Sumter (and
            also
            co-author of the book "Wilson Creek".) took a group of us there and
            mesmerized us with a talk about all the history of the Hunley.

            Your obedient servant,

            Wayne Bengston
            <

            Wayne,

            Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
            Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
            Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
            Creek.

            Regards,

            Margaret
          • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
              In a message dated 4/3/01 11:41:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              102505.271@... writes:

              << Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
              Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
              Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
              Creek.

              Regards,

              Margaret

              If there is ever a muster at Charleston, I am sure that Rick would be more
              than glad to serve as guide and teacher. He is great, not only in his
              knowledge, but as an individual. He barely beats out his wife with knowledge
              about the war in that area.

              Wayne