Re: [civilwarwest] C.S.S. H. L. Hunley

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
      In a message dated 4/3/01 9:53:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
      writes:

      << .The remains of the crewmen will be buried with other
      members of previous crews sometime next year at the Citadel. Regards from
      the Garden Steve.

      Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

      Wayne
    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
        In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:18:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

        Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

        Wayne

        Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when they
        were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve...
      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
          In a message dated 4/3/01 10:40:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
          writes:

          << Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when
          they
          were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve... >>
          Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley :-)
        • basecat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
            In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

            Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley   :-)

            Boy..This is a tough group...:-)  Regards, Steve.
          • Margaret D. Blough
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
              Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

              In a message dated 4/3/01 12:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              ParrotheadDan@... writes:

              << I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
              and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
              continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
              "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan >>

              Dan,
              Eventually the remains of the Hunley's crew will be interred in Magnolia
              Cemetary in Charleston, along side of the other crew members that died when

              it sunk twice before, and along side of the grave of Hunley himself. There

              is already a monument there describing the deeds of these men.

              Last May, Rick Hatcher, Chief Historian of Fort Moultrie and Sumter (and
              also
              co-author of the book "Wilson Creek".) took a group of us there and
              mesmerized us with a talk about all the history of the Hunley.

              Your obedient servant,

              Wayne Bengston
              <

              Wayne,

              Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
              Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
              Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
              Creek.

              Regards,

              Margaret
            • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                In a message dated 4/3/01 11:41:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                102505.271@... writes:

                << Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
                Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
                Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
                Creek.

                Regards,

                Margaret

                If there is ever a muster at Charleston, I am sure that Rick would be more
                than glad to serve as guide and teacher. He is great, not only in his
                knowledge, but as an individual. He barely beats out his wife with knowledge
                about the war in that area.

                Wayne