Re: [civilwarwest] C.S.S. H. L. Hunley

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 6:56 PM
      In a message dated 4/3/01 12:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      ParrotheadDan@... writes:

      << I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
      and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
      continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
      "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan >>

      Dan,
      Eventually the remains of the Hunley's crew will be interred in Magnolia
      Cemetary in Charleston, along side of the other crew members that died when
      it sunk twice before, and along side of the grave of Hunley himself. There
      is already a monument there describing the deeds of these men.

      Last May, Rick Hatcher, Chief Historian of Fort Moultrie and Sumter (and also
      co-author of the book "Wilson Creek".) took a group of us there and
      mesmerized us with a talk about all the history of the Hunley.

      Your obedient servant,

      Wayne Bengston
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 7:17 PM
        In a message dated 4/3/01 9:53:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
        writes:

        << .The remains of the crewmen will be buried with other
        members of previous crews sometime next year at the Citadel. Regards from
        the Garden Steve.

        Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

        Wayne
      • basecat1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 7:39 PM
          In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:18:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

          Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

          Wayne

          Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when they
          were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve...
        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 7:42 PM
            In a message dated 4/3/01 10:40:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
            writes:

            << Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when
            they
            were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve... >>
            Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley :-)
          • basecat1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3 7:47 PM
              In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

              Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley   :-)

              Boy..This is a tough group...:-)  Regards, Steve.
            • Margaret D. Blough
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3 10:39 PM
                Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                ParrotheadDan@... writes:

[...]

                <

                Wayne,

                Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
                Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
                Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
                Creek.

                Regards,

                Margaret
              • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4 10:37 AM
                  In a message dated 4/3/01 11:41:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  102505.271@... writes:

                  << Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
                  Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
                  Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
                  Creek.

                  Regards,

                  Margaret

                  If there is ever a muster at Charleston, I am sure that Rick would be more
                  than glad to serve as guide and teacher. He is great, not only in his
                  knowledge, but as an individual. He barely beats out his wife with knowledge
                  about the war in that area.

                  Wayne