Re: [civilwarwest] C.S.S. H. L. Hunley

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
      In a message dated 4/3/2001 12:02:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      ParrotheadDan@... writes:

      I must admit to having been out of the loop lately.
      I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the  C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
      and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
      continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
      "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan

      Dan...As far as I know...The remains of the crewmen will be buried with other
      members of previous crews sometime next year at the Citadel.  Regards from
      the Garden Steve.
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
        In a message dated 4/3/01 12:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ParrotheadDan@... writes:

        << I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
        and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
        continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
        "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan >>

        Dan,
        Eventually the remains of the Hunley's crew will be interred in Magnolia
        Cemetary in Charleston, along side of the other crew members that died when
        it sunk twice before, and along side of the grave of Hunley himself. There
        is already a monument there describing the deeds of these men.

        Last May, Rick Hatcher, Chief Historian of Fort Moultrie and Sumter (and also
        co-author of the book "Wilson Creek".) took a group of us there and
        mesmerized us with a talk about all the history of the Hunley.

        Your obedient servant,

        Wayne Bengston
      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
          In a message dated 4/3/01 9:53:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
          writes:

          << .The remains of the crewmen will be buried with other
          members of previous crews sometime next year at the Citadel. Regards from
          the Garden Steve.

          Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

          Wayne
        • basecat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
            In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:18:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

            Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

            Wayne

            Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when they
            were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve...
          • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
              In a message dated 4/3/01 10:40:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
              writes:

              << Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when
              they
              were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve... >>
              Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley :-)
            • basecat1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
                In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

                Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley   :-)

                Boy..This is a tough group...:-)  Regards, Steve.
              • Margaret D. Blough
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
                  Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                  ParrotheadDan@... writes:

[...]

                  <

                  Wayne,

                  Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
                  Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
                  Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
                  Creek.

                  Regards,

                  Margaret
                • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                    In a message dated 4/3/01 11:41:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    102505.271@... writes:

                    << Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
                    Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
                    Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
                    Creek.

                    Regards,

                    Margaret

                    If there is ever a muster at Charleston, I am sure that Rick would be more
                    than glad to serve as guide and teacher. He is great, not only in his
                    knowledge, but as an individual. He barely beats out his wife with knowledge
                    about the war in that area.

                    Wayne