C.S.S. H. L. Hunley

  • ParrotheadDan@avenew.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 8:50 AM
      I must admit to having been out of the loop lately.
      I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
      and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
      continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
      "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan
    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 5:56 PM
        In a message dated 4/3/2001 12:02:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ParrotheadDan@... writes:

        I must admit to having been out of the loop lately.
        I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the  C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
        and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
        continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
        "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan

        Dan...As far as I know...The remains of the crewmen will be buried with other
        members of previous crews sometime next year at the Citadel.  Regards from
        the Garden Steve.
      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 6:56 PM
          In a message dated 4/3/01 12:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          ParrotheadDan@... writes:

          << I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
          and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
          continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
          "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan >>

          Dan,
          Eventually the remains of the Hunley's crew will be interred in Magnolia
          Cemetary in Charleston, along side of the other crew members that died when
          it sunk twice before, and along side of the grave of Hunley himself. There
          is already a monument there describing the deeds of these men.

          Last May, Rick Hatcher, Chief Historian of Fort Moultrie and Sumter (and also
          co-author of the book "Wilson Creek".) took a group of us there and
          mesmerized us with a talk about all the history of the Hunley.

          Your obedient servant,

          Wayne Bengston
        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 7:17 PM
            In a message dated 4/3/01 9:53:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
            writes:

            << .The remains of the crewmen will be buried with other
            members of previous crews sometime next year at the Citadel. Regards from
            the Garden Steve.

            Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

            Wayne
          • basecat1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3 7:39 PM
              In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:18:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

              Steve, the previous crews are interred at Magnolia Cemetary, not the Citadel.

              Wayne

              Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when they
              were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve...
            • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3 7:42 PM
                In a message dated 4/3/01 10:40:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, basecat1@...
                writes:

                << Wayne....My bad...was thinking of the graves found at the Citadel when
                they
                were remodeling the stadium....Regards, Steve... >>
                Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley :-)
              • basecat1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3 7:47 PM
                  In a message dated 4/3/2001 10:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

                  Thirty lashes with a wet noodle they found in the Hunley   :-)

                  Boy..This is a tough group...:-)  Regards, Steve.
                • Margaret D. Blough
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3 10:39 PM
                    Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                    ParrotheadDan@... writes:

[...]

                    <

                    Wayne,

                    Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
                    Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
                    Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
                    Creek.

                    Regards,

                    Margaret
                  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4 10:37 AM
                      In a message dated 4/3/01 11:41:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      102505.271@... writes:

                      << Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
                      Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
                      Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
                      Creek.

                      Regards,

                      Margaret

                      If there is ever a muster at Charleston, I am sure that Rick would be more
                      than glad to serve as guide and teacher. He is great, not only in his
                      knowledge, but as an individual. He barely beats out his wife with knowledge
                      about the war in that area.

                      Wayne