Re: Little Egypt

  • ParrotheadDan@avenew.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 2, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
      > HISTORY OF GALLATIN COUNTY, ILLINOIS - PART OF LITTLE EGYPT
      >
      > SLAVES AND INDENTURED SERVANTS
      >
      > Most of the early settlers of this county came from some one of the
      Southern
      > States: Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and in some
      few
      > instances from Georgia and Alabama. Many of thgose, but not all who
      came
      > brought with them slaves, with transcripts of the evidence of
      ownership from
      > the records of the counties from which they emigrated, which
      transcripts were
      > duly recorded in Gallatin County. Some of those who brought slaves
      either
      > upon or after arriving in the county, set them free, either in
      consideration
      > of past faithful services, or of money. In this way large numbers
      of negroes
      > and mulattoes of different degrees of darkness found themselves in
      southern
      > Illinois, and resided here either as free persons, or as indentured
      servants,
      > most of the time up to the breaking out of the Civil War. The
      following is
      > the form of indenture usually employed, and the one given is the
      first one
      > upon the records of Gallatin County:
      >
      > This Indenture made and entered into this 5th day of July, 1814,
      between
      > William Killis, mulatto man about the age of 25, and Joseph M.
      Street, both
      > of Shawneetown, Gallatin County, in the Illinois Territory,
      witnesseth, that
      > for and in consideration of $200, by the said Joseph to the said
      William in
      > hand paid, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, and said
      William hath
      > put, placed and bound himself to the said Joseph as a servant for
      the full
      > term of four years from the date hereof, or, in other words until
      the 5th day
      > of July, 1818, and the said Joseph agrees on his part to furnish the
      said
      > William with everything proper for him, and the said William, on his
      part
      > agrees to act and demean himself in an orderly and proper manner in
      his
      > capacity of servant.
      > In testimony whereof we have hereunto set our hands and seals
      the day and
      > year written above.
      >
      > his
      > William X
      Killis
      > Test: mark
      > Thomas Posey
      > Fayette Posey Joseph
      M. Street

      > Indentured servants always made their mark. The last record upon
      the books
      > devoted to recording the movements and status of colored persons,
      was made
      > September 1, 1862, and had reference to Carolina Sanders, late slave
      of
      > General Gideon Pillow, of the Confederate army. She was brought to
      > Shawneetown on that day by James B. Turner, and asserted her right
      to freedom
      > under the confiscation act of the General Government. James B.
      Turner
      > certified to the facts as asserted by Carolina, and gave bond to the
      county
      > that she should not become a county charge.
      >
      > Because of the prejudices of many of the people then against the
      negro, and
      > of their frequent attempts to steal them and sell them into slavery
      in the
      > Southern States, great trouble frequently arose. It was frequently
      necessary
      > for a free negro to prove to the court that he was free. At times
      they would
      > be able to prove that they were free, and other times they were not.
      In
      > either case, they lived in fear to be kidnapped and sent South to be
      in
      > slavery again; fear of the "Regulators." {the original Regulators
      were
      > formed in North Carolina and South Carolina in the 1760's to oppose
      unfair
      > practices of King George of England}.
      >
      > Excitement ran very high about 1840, and for a few years afterward
      about
      > negroes living in the State. The excited state of feeling resulted
      in the
      > organization of a body of men calling themselves "Regulators" whose
      purpose
      > was to force all negroes without regard to age, sex or condition, to
      leave
      > the county. To "regulate" usually meant to whip, terrify, and often
      kidnap a
      > negro and sell him/her in the South.
      >
      > The last effort to return fugitive slaves was made in the latter
      part of
      > 1862. It was reported that there was a fugitive from lavor harbored
      at the
      > house of Stephen R. Rowan, and a few pro-slavery men determined that
      he
      > should be returned according to the Fugitive Slave Law. At that
      time the
      > rebel forces had possession of that portion of Kentucky opposite
      Shawneetown,
      > and they had made frequent threats to sack and burn the town, and
      for this
      > reason, at a meeting that was held by the citizens of Shawneetown
      and there
      > being some present at the meeting bold enough to protest against the
      return
      > of the fugitive to rebels in arms against the Government, and strong
      enough
      > to prevent any attack upon Mr. Rowan. The fugitive, therefore, was
      never
      > returned.
      >
      > The above story is taken in part from the History of Gallatin
      County,
      > Illinois 1887
      >
      > Your obedient servant,
      >
      > Wayne Bengston

      Great stuff!!! Thanx Wayne-Dan
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2005
        While the Southern influence was and is great in Egypt, and would explain why Egypt and only Egypt provided the only organized group of Rebels from a free state, it by no means follows that Egypt as a whole was pro-secession. Like that sucker A Lincoln, and like John McClernand and John Logan, the Egyptians opposed secession and equally opposed slavery. After all, unlike Jefferson Davis' family *they* had moved North in many cases to escape the impact of slavery.

        Don't forget that the Egyptian Rebel gang could only assemble half a company -- hardly a ringing endorsement of secession!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
        303.451.6376  huddleston.r@...

        History becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. — H. G. Wells