Re: [civilwarwest] Little Egypt

  • Robert Taubman
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 1, 2001
      It's a disease, an addiction, or something like that. The internet
      has made it much easier to go broke buying books. I'm sure the group
      you mentioned has spent many hours reading in order to increase its
      knowledge of events in the ACW. It's wonderful, isn't it?

      Bob Taubman

      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2005
        While the Southern influence was and is great in Egypt, and would explain why Egypt and only Egypt provided the only organized group of Rebels from a free state, it by no means follows that Egypt as a whole was pro-secession. Like that sucker A Lincoln, and like John McClernand and John Logan, the Egyptians opposed secession and equally opposed slavery. After all, unlike Jefferson Davis' family *they* had moved North in many cases to escape the impact of slavery.

        Don't forget that the Egyptian Rebel gang could only assemble half a company -- hardly a ringing endorsement of secession!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
        303.451.6376  huddleston.r@...

        History becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. — H. G. Wells