help....discharge

  • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      Gentleman,
      I have in possession a framed (Discharge certification) ?? of my GrGrgrandfather. I remember seeing the yellow faded framed paper in 1968.
      I assume it was penned during his lifetime. The paper though faded is on yellow legal, green lined with the red tab line vertical 1 1/2" from edge.
      When is the earliest date this document was written and why?

      Thanks for any help.

      --
      Respectfully,
      John Hooper

      This is to Certify
      _________, _________
      That John Jones,
      of Rutherford County,
      Tennessee.
      Was a Private Soldier in Company ,
      A., Second Confederate Regiment,
      Polk's BrigadeCleburne's Division
      Hardee's Corps, Confederate States
      Army and was wounded at the
      battle of Richmond, Kentucky on
      August 31st, 1862, and disabled from
      further duty in the army and was
      Honorably Discharged from the Con-
      federate States Army and is entitled
      to all and every Honor and Benefit
      that may be accorded Confederate
      Soldiers for their bravery upon the
      field of battle during the Civil War
      between the States and for his
      patriotic devotion to the cause of
      Southern Independence.
      Reese K. Henderson 1st Lieut.
      Comdg. (sic) Co. A. Second Confederate Regt.
      Polk's Brigade.
      Cleburne's Division,
      Hardee's Corp.
      Confederate States Army

      Written in cursive
      Appears 2nd line left blank
      I've heard stories of him shot in knee and leg stiffened