Re: Legality of secession: were the states sovereign nations?

  • James2044
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
      You might want to end this quickly.

      A group I'm on had almost the same title as the 1st post from a new
      member. The person who posted this is the group's newest member.

      This and a couple of other topics caused a meltdown of almost 1,000
      messages in a couple of days.

      James2044
    • Bob Taubman
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
        Agreed.

        James2044 <JWD2044@...> wrote:
        You might want to end this quickly.

        A group I'm on had almost the same title as the 1st post from a new
        member. The person who posted this is the group's newest member.

        This and a couple of other topics caused a meltdown of almost 1,000
        messages in a couple of days.

        James2044

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • John Beatty
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
          I thought discussions of causes were verboten here....

          --- Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

          > Agreed.
          >
          > James2044 <JWD2044@...> wrote: You might
          > want to end this quickly.
          >
          > A group I'm on had almost the same title as the 1st
          > post from a new
          > member. The person who posted this is the group's
          > newest member.
          >
          > This and a couple of other topics caused a meltdown
          > of almost 1,000
          > messages in a couple of days.
          >
          > James2044
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • brianmccandliss
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
            This isn't about the causes, it's about the LEGAL ISSUE of the Civil
            War. There wasn't any warning about that. The causes were obvious--
            the legal issues are not-- at least not to the point where we can
            say that current policy is legitimate.

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@...>
            wrote:

            > I thought discussions of causes were verboten here....
            >
            > --- Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Agreed.
            > >
            > > James2044 <JWD2044@...> wrote: You might
            > > want to end this quickly.
            > >
            > > A group I'm on had almost the same title as the 1st
            > > post from a new
            > > member. The person who posted this is the group's
            > > newest member.
            > >
            > > This and a couple of other topics caused a meltdown
            > > of almost 1,000
            > > messages in a couple of days.
            > >
            > > James2044
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
              I'm not a moderator, but I play one on TV.

              This is splitting hairs - and a waste of time, to boot.

              That's not a judgment of the poster, just of the post. I think pretty much
              everyone here has their ideas about the legality of secession, and no amount
              of "discussion" is going to change them.

              Harry

              wrote:

              > I thought discussions of causes were verboten here....
              >
              > --- Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Agreed.
              > >
              > > James2044 <JWD2044@...> wrote: You might
              > > want to end this quickly.
              > >
              > > A group I'm on had almost the same title as the 1st
              > > post from a new
              > > member. The person who posted this is the group's
              > > newest member.
              > >
              > > This and a couple of other topics caused a meltdown
              > > of almost 1,000
              > > messages in a couple of days.
              > >
              > > James2044
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • brianmccandliss
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James2044" <JWD2044@...> wrote:

                > You might want to end this quickly.
                >
                > A group I'm on had almost the same title as the 1st post from a new
                > member. The person who posted this is the group's newest member.
                >
                > This and a couple of other topics caused a meltdown of almost 1,000
                > messages in a couple of days.
                >
                > James2044

                Which group?
              • Ronald black
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Brian:
                  The question of the right of secession has been debated many times by more learned men than I and never has it been upheld.  The method of admission as a member state of the United States is provided but no method of secession is part of the Constitution.  Your citation of Madison in Federalist 39 is only one of the many position papers included in the long discussions held in the constitutional debates and is a position paper at best.  The many rulings of the supreme court has defined, expanded and restricted the powers of the federal government while at the same time defined, expanded and restricted the powers of the states governments.  All of this based on the Constitution.  Which of these rulings do you wish to cite as an authority?  If your assumption is correct, what is your purpose?

                  Remember the quotation "We must hang together or, surely we will hang separately".  Ben Franklin  (I believe)

                  Regards
                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "brianmccandliss"
                    <bmccandliss@...> wrote:
                    > ... As such, they recognized
                    > no superior,

                    Read the Constitution. By accepoting the constitution, the States
                    clearly recognized that the federal government was superior.

                    > I have also noticed a conspicuous absence of debate on this issue,
                    > leading me to believe that there's some type of "code of silence" on
                    the
                    > matter, by those professionals whose interests are conflicted by
                    > discussing it; however I'm not afraid of rocking the boat in the name
                    of
                    > truth.

                    This issue is debated endlessly on other groups. This group is devoted
                    ot the study of a specifi theater of the war, so this topic is not
                    discussed here.
                  • Jfepperson@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                      > That's not a judgment of the poster, just of the post. I think
                      pretty much
                      > everyone here has their ideas about the legality of secession, and no
                      amount
                      > of "discussion" is going to change them.

                      More to the point, the people in charge of this list have made it clear
                      that they do not want "political" issues discussed here.

                      JFE
                    • Dick Weeks
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                        I agree Harry. I really don't want this group to get involved in this type
                        discussion. Let's move on to something else. That's a nice of saying drop
                        the thread.

                        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                        http://www.civilwarhome.com

                        > I'm not a moderator, but I play one on TV.
                        >
                        > This is splitting hairs - and a waste of time, to boot.
                        >
                        > That's not a judgment of the poster, just of the post. I think pretty
                        > much
                        > everyone here has their ideas about the legality of secession, and no
                        > amount
                        > of "discussion" is going to change them.
                        >
                        > Harry

                      • endeavorgot
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Perhaps four years of bloody war is one way of ammending the
                          constitution.
                          Bill Bruner
                        • hank9174
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                            <bmccandliss@...> wrote:

                            > however I'm not afraid of rocking the boat in the name of
                            > truth.

                            Don't dislocate a shoulder while patting yourself on the back...

                            HankC
                          • Charles
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@... wrote:

                              > > That's not a judgment of the poster, just of the post. I think
                              > pretty much
                              > > everyone here has their ideas about the legality of secession, and
                              no
                              > amount
                              > > of "discussion" is going to change them.
                              >
                              > More to the point, the people in charge of this list have made it
                              clear
                              > that they do not want "political" issues discussed here.
                              >
                              > JFE

                              I joined this list to learn more about "what happned" "when it
                              happned " in the war in the west ,leaving the judgement of" why it
                              happned "to someone else.

                              Charles