Re: "Peremptory" orders

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

      > See Will's post concerning other examples.

      My examples were not of backdating, they were examples of juniors over
      seniors.
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@...>
        > This was jus another case of military politics trumping military
        > tradition, common sense, and reasonableness.

        Yet the dating of Rosecrans rank made the situation match the
        tradition.
      • Bob Taubman
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
          To say it was standard operating procedure is just an easy way to excuse political expediency.  Obviously there was some honour attached to the seniority system in the military but as you have pointed out it was politics trumping tradition.

          josepharose <josepharose@...> wrote:
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman wrote:

          > Fortunately they got it right when they had to replace Rosecrans.
          >
          > "In Don Piatt's biography of General Thomas he described a scene
          in which President Lincoln and several members of his Cabinet
          discussed Buell's successor. Secretary of the Treasury Chase was in
          favor of General Rosecrans for the vacancy and Secretary of War Edwin
          M. Stanton favored General Thomas. After listening patiently to both
          men, the President said, "Let the Virginian wait; we will try
          Rosecrans. Piatt also stated that he was in Secretary Stanton's
          office when he returned from the conference with the President, and
          that his first words were, "Well, you have your choice of idiots; now
          look for frightful disaster."

          > - General George H. Thomas, The Indomitable Warrior, Wilbur
          Thomas(no relation)
          > p. 270

          Mr. Taubman,

          Unfortunately, it appears that some people overlook how things were
          done in the US Army of the time.

          Rhea noted: "Placing Burnside under Meade would constitute a serious
          breach of military protocol."

          Longstreet had written: "I thought it unwise and not military to
          choose a junior for assignment over his senior officers, and
          prejudicial to the espirit de corps and morale of any army, except
          under most eminent services."

          This was jus another case of military politics trumping military
          tradition, common sense, and reasonableness.

          Joseph

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/