Re: [civilwarwest] Grant at Cairo Illinois

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 1, 2006
      In a message dated 2/1/2006 6:12:58 PM Mountain Standard Time, dan6764@... writes:
      the Museum that your are referring to is the Custom House Museum in Cairo..  It is an interesting Museum and does have some interesting artifacts from the Civil War including Grant's desk.. Believe it or not they also have a picture of his headquarters building but nobody seems to know where it was at..  I also stopped at the Courthouse and their records is in such bad shape that they could not tell me where it was nor could I find it in what archives they had..
      This museum is worth a stop if you are in Cairo.. Do not make a special trip to see it..
      During the week it closes at 2PM..  I am not sure if it has weekend hours or not.. If anyone is interested I am in Cairo about once a month and can check and see..
      Yeah I've been to Cairo once before.  I was at Columbus/Belmont and decided to dash into Cairo to look for the Tigress flagpole (I'm a Shiloh nut).  It was at the custom house museum.  Pretty cool museum.  I got a map there of old Cairo that shows where Grant's HQ were.  Then I made a quick stop at Mound City cemetery to finish the day.
      --Nick
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 3, 2006
        In a message dated 2/3/2006 10:41:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, clarkc@... writes:
        Now, here's a challenge!

        Forts Henry and Donelson
        New Orleans
        Shiloh
        Perryville -> Murfreesboro
        Vicksburg
        Tullahoma -> Chickamauga
        Chattanooga
        Atlanta
        Red River
        March to the Sea
        Hood -> Franklin -> Nashville
        Savannah -> Carolinas -> Durham

        HankC
        Hank,
        You forgot Richmond, Iuka, Corinth, Secessionville, Ft McAllister, and Bentonville. Although you may have included the last three in Savannah and the Carolinas.

        JEJ