Re: [civilwarwest] "Peremptory" orders

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
      In a message dated 2/1/2006 3:51:36 PM Mountain Standard Time, huddleston.r@... writes:
      So there was no need to backdate Rosey’s commission to March, 1862 unless it was to satisfy the vanity of George Thomas about being under someone with a junior commission. Or to satisfy the vanity of Rosecrans and also his sponsor, the Secretary of the Treasury.
      I think in this case it was to satisfy Thomas that Rosecrans had his comission back dated.  I thought Thomas complained of a junior officer commanding him.  So Lincoln changed Rosey date and I think Halleck told Thomas about the congressional resolution that said Lincoln could pick between men of the same grade without worrying about dates.
      --Nick
    • Bob Taubman
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
        Fortunately they got it right when they had to replace Rosecrans.

        "In Don Piatt's biography of General Thomas he described a scene in which President Lincoln and several members of his Cabinet discussed Buell's successor.  Secretary of the Treasury Chase was in favor of General Rosecrans for the vacancy and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton favored General Thomas.  After listening patiently to both men, the President said, "Let the Virginian wait;  we will try Rosecrans.  Piatt also stated that he was in Secretary Stanton's office when he returned from the conference with the President, and that his first words were, "Well, you have your choice of idiots;  now look for frightful disaster."

         - General George H. Thomas, The Indomitable Warrior, Wilbur Thomas(no relation)
        p. 270

        nickrelee@... wrote:
        In a message dated 2/1/2006 3:51:36 PM Mountain Standard Time, huddleston.r@... writes:
        So there was no need to backdate Rosey’s commission to March, 1862 unless it was to satisfy the vanity of George Thomas about being under someone with a junior commission. Or to satisfy the vanity of Rosecrans and also his sponsor, the Secretary of the Treasury.
        I think in this case it was to satisfy Thomas that Rosecrans had his comission back dated.  I thought Thomas complained of a junior officer commanding him.  So Lincoln changed Rosey date and I think Halleck told Thomas about the congressional resolution that said Lincoln could pick between men of the same grade without worrying about dates.
        --Nick

      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006

          GO  STEELERS!!!!

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006

            There was no stooping involved.  This was SOP.

            Harry

            Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it.  I think if it were me, I'd be more upset that they had to stoop to that level just for optics.

            “Quando omni flunkus, mortati”

            Go Seahawks!!

            "James F. Epperson" <Jfepperson@...> wrote:

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman wrote:

            > Why was it necessary to change the date of
            > Rosecran's promotion in order to give him
            > seniority over Thomas? If it was as cut-and-dried
            > as you make it appear, why the subtrefuge?

            I don't see any subterfuge at all. Officers could be
            notoriously sensitive about serving under juniors;
            changing the date of Rosy's promotion avoids this
            problem.

            JFE

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • William H Keene
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston" <huddleston.r@...> wrote:
              > The most famous - and important example of this was the selection of George
              > Meade to command the Army of the Potomac, over the heads of several of his
              > fellow corps' commanders right before Gettysburg.

              Equally famous was the selection of Sherman over Thomas to command the Military Division
              of the Mississippi. Lesser examples -- Pope placed over the corps commanders of the Army
              of Virginia; Canby placed over the Department Commanders of the Military Division of West
              Mississippi.
            • William H Keene
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
                Its possible that the recent experience of Pope and Fremont affected the decision in this
                situation. Fremont resigned rather than serve under Pope giving the dates of commission
                as his reason.

                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 2/1/2006 3:51:36 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                > huddleston.r@... writes:
                >
                > So there was no need to backdate Rosey’s commission to March, 1862 unless it
                > was to satisfy the vanity of George Thomas about being under someone with a
                > junior commission. Or to satisfy the vanity of Rosecrans and also his
                > sponsor, the Secretary of the Treasury.
                >

                > I think in this case it was to satisfy Thomas that Rosecrans had his
                > comission back dated. I thought Thomas complained of a junior officer commanding
                > him. So Lincoln changed Rosey date and I think Halleck told Thomas about the
                > congressional resolution that said Lincoln could pick between men of the same
                > grade without worrying about dates.
                > --Nick

              • Bob Taubman
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
                  How often was it done?  Why is it SOP?

                  Harry Smeltzer <hjs21@...> wrote:
                  There was no stooping involved.  This was SOP.

                  Harry

                  Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it.  I think if it were me, I'd be more upset that they had to stoop to that level just for optics.

                  “Quando omni flunkus, mortati”

                  Go Seahawks!!

                  "James F. Epperson" <Jfepperson@...> wrote:
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman wrote:

                  > Why was it necessary to change the date of
                  > Rosecran's promotion in order to give him
                  > seniority over Thomas? If it was as cut-and-dried
                  > as you make it appear, why the subtrefuge?

                  I don't see any subterfuge at all. Officers could be
                  notoriously sensitive about serving under juniors;
                  changing the date of Rosy's promotion avoids this
                  problem.

                  JFE

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • josepharose
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

                    > Fortunately they got it right when they had to replace Rosecrans.
                    >
                    > "In Don Piatt's biography of General Thomas he described a scene
                    in which President Lincoln and several members of his Cabinet
                    discussed Buell's successor. Secretary of the Treasury Chase was in
                    favor of General Rosecrans for the vacancy and Secretary of War Edwin
                    M. Stanton favored General Thomas. After listening patiently to both
                    men, the President said, "Let the Virginian wait; we will try
                    Rosecrans. Piatt also stated that he was in Secretary Stanton's
                    office when he returned from the conference with the President, and
                    that his first words were, "Well, you have your choice of idiots; now
                    look for frightful disaster."

                    > - General George H. Thomas, The Indomitable Warrior, Wilbur
                    Thomas(no relation)
                    > p. 270

                    Mr. Taubman,

                    Unfortunately, it appears that some people overlook how things were
                    done in the US Army of the time.

                    Rhea noted: "Placing Burnside under Meade would constitute a serious
                    breach of military protocol."

                    Longstreet had written: "I thought it unwise and not military to
                    choose a junior for assignment over his senior officers, and
                    prejudicial to the espirit de corps and morale of any army, except
                    under most eminent services."

                    This was jus another case of military politics trumping military
                    tradition, common sense, and reasonableness.

                    Joseph
                  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
                      In a message dated 2/1/2006 6:36:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, nickrelee@... writes:
                      I think in this case it was to satisfy Thomas that Rosecrans had his comission back dated.  I thought Thomas complained of a junior officer commanding him.  So Lincoln changed Rosey date and I think Halleck told Thomas about the congressional resolution that said Lincoln could pick between men of the same grade without worrying about dates.
                      --Nick
                      You have this backwards.  Lincoln changed Rosy's date when he promoted him and not after Thomas protested.  When Rosy and Thomas met, the Virginian learned of the date of the commission and then later found out about the back dating.  In any case, the President could pick whom he wanted but mindful of the military traditions, the backdating was done.

                      Kent Dorr
                    • Harry Smeltzer
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006

                        See Will’s post concerning other examples.  But it was done because seniority was very important to these guys.  And it was not only done for Army command.

                        Harry

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                          > See Will's post concerning other examples.

                          My examples were not of backdating, they were examples of juniors over
                          seniors.
                        • William H Keene
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 1, 2006
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@...>
                            > This was jus another case of military politics trumping military
                            > tradition, common sense, and reasonableness.

                            Yet the dating of Rosecrans rank made the situation match the
                            tradition.
                          • Bob Taubman
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 2, 2006
                              To say it was standard operating procedure is just an easy way to excuse political expediency.  Obviously there was some honour attached to the seniority system in the military but as you have pointed out it was politics trumping tradition.