Re: [civilwarwest] Bragg @ Chickamauga

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2006
      In a message dated 1/30/2006 1:40:33 PM Mountain Standard Time, LWhite64@... writes:
      Well thats the thing, after the repulse of Breckinridge from his flank attack, a brigade of Liddell's Division, Govan's, is sent in a rolls up the flank again and once again troops are shifted to repulse it, the threat to the left isnt resolved.  As to the Cove, the official cove is about twelve miles to the SW, but you still have a funnel there, the Chickamauga Creek flows from the SW and is only crossable at a few points, then you have Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mtn, both also running to the SW, so basically the cove is the bottom of the triangle, and Bragg was trying to block the only viable exit from it.  If Bragg could have delivered a crippling blow, which was possible just before dawn on Sept 20, it could have spelled disaster for Rosey and the AoC.
      If Bragg's plan for the 19-20th is to drive an enemy 12 miles he had to be delusional.  In how many battles is one side driven from the field 12 miles?  Off hand my guess is very few, maybe none.

      When they were close to the cove that was a pretty good plan but, as things tend to happen with Bragg, the plan went awry and the Union escaped the trap.

      I agree with Sam, Bragg was very good at designing a campaign/stratedgy but once it got rolling it tended to fall apart.  The Kentucky campaign started well too but fell apart.
      --Nick